* Map Life Facts Script Error

For users to report plugin bugs and request plugin enhancements; and for authors to test new/new versions of plugins, and to discuss plugin development (in the Programming Technicalities sub-forum). If you want advice on choosing or using a plugin, please ask in General Usage or an appropriate sub-forum.
keca
Gold
Family Historian: V7

Map Life Facts Script Error

Post by keca »

I haven't used Map Life Facts for about a month, but a month ago it worked OK, but now when I run it (V5.1) I get a Script Error.
MapLifeFacts Script Error Edited.JPG
MapLifeFacts Script Error Edited.JPG (25.49 KiB) Viewed 1240 times
. I have edited out only the API key.

If I click "Yes" I then get a popup about using a browser that is not supported by the Google Maps JavaScript API.
MapLife Facts 5.1.JPG
MapLife Facts 5.1.JPG (60.04 KiB) Viewed 1240 times
The Status is :Map Action Sync Failed, but I can't see that in the FAQ's?

I tried this yesterday as well with the same results, but looking at my Google Account it seems that 1 request got through, not sure how or when.

Win10 21H1 19043.1706

Thanks
Kev
tatewise
Megastar

Re: Map Life Facts Script Error

Post by tatewise »

I'm sorry but this plugin is likely to start becoming restricted in its capabilities.
It relies on the Internet Explorer browser engine to render the map pane, which Google Maps no longer supports.
Unfortunately, there is no Edge or other browser engine substitute available for use by plugin Lua scripts.
Also, Internet Explorer is being removed from Windows next month, but I think the underlying engine will remain.

I now get the same symptoms as you when using the Google Maps option but seems OK with Leaflet Maps.
So, after clicking Yes to the script error, select the Set Preference Options tab.
Then select the Web Page Map Options tab and change the Map Pane Mode: to Leaflet Maps.
Be patient, as it may be a little slow to react until the change has been completed.
It may be wise to close and run the plugin again to give it a clean start.

Leaflet Maps have much the same features as Google Maps and the icon in the top right corner offers 3 map display modes.
I suspect the Google Maps option will have to be removed from the next published version of the plugin.

The geocode plotting is still performed by Google Maps so the lat/longitude plot values will stay exactly the same.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
keca
Gold

Post by keca »

Thanks Mike,

Making that change to Leaflet Maps works perfectly.
Kev
BillH
Megastar

Post by BillH »

Mike,

I was just wondering if there might be any chance for progress on this issue. Is Microsoft really taking away, disabling, or whatever is happening to the API for IE and not replacing it with something for Edge?

I really dislike the Leaflet maps for a variety of reasons.

Is there any way that a different mapping facility could be used like Bing maps or something?

Bill
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Microsoft have replaced the IE Shell with a similar Edge feature, which is what FH V7 now uses for its Web Search Window.
However, there is no Lua compatible implementation that can be used by plugins, so I'm stuck with IE for the time being.

I am considering investigating Bing for both the Map display pane and the geocode plotting.
There are just not enough hours in the day.

However, I wonder how long it will be before Bing and Leaflet stop supporting IE?
BillH
Megastar

Post by BillH »

I know nothing about LUA or who maintains it. Do you know if they have any plans to add such an implementation in the future? Seems like with IE going away, supporting only IE isn't going to work for a lot of folks.

I hope something works out in the end as I really like using Map Life Facts, but would probably go back to geocoding in Google maps and then cutting and pasting the coordinates into FH if we can't use the Google Maps setting in Map Life Facts.

Bill
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Bill, it is not the Lua implementation itself that needs enhancing, but an associated Lua compatible library.
I suspect eventually, one may get implemented for Edge, but it is beyond my pay grade.
Probably, CP could offer a solution via the Plugin API, but since only the Map Life Facts plugin needs it, that is unlikely.
BillH
Megastar

Post by BillH »

OK... I got it. That is too bad. :(

Bill