* Problem with Census plugin

For users to report plugin bugs and request plugin enhancements; and for authors to test new/new versions of plugins, and to discuss plugin development (in the Programming Technicalities sub-forum). If you want advice on choosing or using a plugin, please ask in General Usage or an appropriate sub-forum.
Ruth
Gold
Family Historian: V7

Problem with Census plugin

Post by Ruth »

I am using Crossover on a M1 Mac, and FH V7 When creating a new census source from template using the Data Entry Assistant, the information is not transferring across to the Text from Source field, and the program freezes. The same thing happens if I attach a source to a fact, and try to add the information in the Text from Source field. I don't know if this is a Crossover problem or FH. I have also tried adding a baptism, which did partly transfer. I know there are some problems with plugins and Crossover, but thought I would ask in case it was something that could be resolved.
Attachments
Data entry plugin.png
Data entry plugin.png (347.76 KiB) Viewed 1579 times
Census.png
Census.png (414.67 KiB) Viewed 1579 times
Baptism.png
Baptism.png (119.55 KiB) Viewed 1579 times
mjashby
Megastar

Re: Problem with Census plugin

Post by mjashby »

Ruth,

The problem might, at least in part, be associated with the use of Tables by the Plugin. Whatever method has been implemented by the Calico Pie developers in FH7 to produce text output in Tables just doesn't work in Wine (Crossover etc.).

Mervyn
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

It sounds as if you're running into the issues with rich text tables described in this thread FH v7 and windows emulators WARNING (18285), which is not something that can be fixed in the DEA ...

Can you get into the autotext templates to edit them? (Tools > Manage Autotext, navigate to a entry and select Edit). If you can, you can edit to eliminate the table elements and see if that helps. (Do it in a copy of the standard autotext).

To access the Autotext used by the plugin, select 'Autotext for plugins' and navigate to the directory named to match the plugin e.g. Record Census Data (UK). (That plugin creates each Autotext file the first time it is used -- has it created the 1841 file for you?)
Ruth
Gold

Post by Ruth »

Thank you both for replying. I will try the autotext template and see if that makes a difference. I did read about that, but didn’t know how to adjust it.
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

If you manage to adjust the templates, there may be significant work needed on the plugin to use a template that doesn't support tables.
Ruth
Gold

Post by Ruth »

Helen
That sounds a bit beyond my capabilities. I think I may leave it for the time being, and just make notes if I can. Maybe when another update is done in FH/Crossover, it may help. Thank you for you help and advice.
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

Ruth, I wasn't suggesting you would need to modify the plugin -- I would have to do it, but fear it will be some time before I can find the time, so to speak.

It might be work asking if AS can create text from source without using tables?
Ruth
Gold

Post by Ruth »

Helen
I just had a look at the Manage AutoText option, however I am unable to do anything. FH either freezes or just shuts down. It may be a Crossover problem. As for AS, I had trouble installing this as well, with error messages. There was another person on this forum who was also on a Mac and having the same error message. I gave up on AS. I am happy to wait for the plugin to be fixed.
Thanks again.
Ruth
Valkrider
Megastar

Post by Valkrider »

Ruth

Crossover and all Wine variants is not close to 100% on the M1 chip. It is better, but not perfect on Intel processors.
Ruth
Gold

Post by Ruth »

Thanks Colin. I knew there would be some limitations when I purchased the Mac M1, hopefully things will improve over time. I have RM8 as a backup, but definitely prefer FH.