* Using Find Duplicate individuals

For users to report plugin bugs and request plugin enhancements; and for authors to test new/new versions of plugins, and to discuss plugin development (in the Programming Technicalities sub-forum). If you want advice on choosing or using a plugin, please ask in General Usage or an appropriate sub-forum.
peterbel
Superstar
Family Historian: V7

Using Find Duplicate individuals

Post by peterbel »

I have found a large number of duplicates in my data that appear to be historic, because of adding data from a relative some time ago.
I am slowly processing them and I am now looking for the best way to Omit Non-Duplicates.
I was hoping that I could work through the duplicate list found, merging or omitting as required, but I am finding the way the windows work the 'omitting' list can't be open at the same time.
Am I doing it the wrong way?
Tracing the Devon Bellamy family along with their partners.
tatewise
Megastar

Re: Using Find Duplicate individuals

Post by tatewise »

Sounds like you're using the correct process as explained in Help page https://pluginstore.family-historian.co ... icates-tab.

You merge duplicates based on the Result Set entries, and must make a note of any non-duplicates.
Then run the plugin and add those non-duplicates using the Omit Non-Duplicates tab.
On the Find Duplicates tab, the Show previous Result Set… button automatically omits Merged pairs and Non-Duplicates from the updated Result Set.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
peterbel
Superstar

Post by peterbel »

Thanks Mike,

Code: Select all

and must make a note of any non-duplicates.

Because I have a large number of them this was the step I was trying to avoid !
I assume there is a technical reason why the necessary windows cannot all be open and actionable at the same time, that would make the process a little easier IMHO.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Yes, technically a Plugin and its windows cannot operate simultaneously with any other FH windows, i.e. Record Merge.

I had expected that the time needed to check whether a pair are duplicates or non-duplicates would be relatively large compared with the time to note the non-duplicates.
Having noted a handful, run the Plugin, add the Non-Duplicates, and use the Show previous Result Set… button, which will produce an updated Result Set without Merged and Non-Duplicate pairs, so you can start from the top again.
Working in batches like that is how I assumed users would operate with breaks, perhaps even days, between batches.

I imagine that the current exercise is a once-off major task and in future the numbers involved will be much smaller.

The only alternative mechanism for listing Non-Duplicate pairs (outside the Plugin) is a Named List, but ensuring the records are kept in associated pairs would be a challenge and outside the Plugin control.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
peterbel
Superstar

Post by peterbel »

Thanks again.
I did used the 'batch' process you described, it was just 'making a note' seems incongruous with so much memory and processing power beneath my fingers!