* Backup and Restore FH Settings Plugin Install error

For users to report plugin bugs and request plugin enhancements; and for authors to test new/new versions of plugins, and to discuss plugin development (in the Programming Technicalities sub-forum). If you want advice on choosing or using a plugin, please ask in General Usage or an appropriate sub-forum.
Darryl-W
Gold
Family Historian: V7

Backup and Restore FH Settings Plugin Install error

Post by Darryl-W »

Just tried to backup my settings etc with the Plugin "backup and restore Family History settings".
I have used this previously without issue but not since the latest upgrade - V 7.0.7.
The error message simply says" An error has Occurred. Cannot install "backup and restore Family History settings" as a plugin."

Now I'm stuck
can someone shed some light on why and how to overcome the dilemma please

Thank you all for your intimate knowledge

Darryl
tatewise
Megastar

Re: Backup and Restore FH Settings Plugin Install error

Post by tatewise »

Hi Darryl.
I've moved this to the Plugin Discussions forum and updated its Subject line

Which version of the plugin are you using? The latest in the Plugin Store is Version 3.1.

If it is Version 2.9 or earlier it will not run in FH v7.0 successfully.
The same goes for many other plugins that needed updating for FH v7.0.

Have you run the Plugin before since upgrading to any FH v7.0 earlier versions such as v7.0.2 to v7.0.6?

When does the error message arise?
When you click the Run button in the Tools > Plugins window?
Can you attach a screenshot?

BTW: Please update your FHUG Profile to show Family Historian: V7 instead of V6.2.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Darryl-W
Gold

Post by Darryl-W »

Thank you for your reply,
I downloaded from the store and it is V3.1
When does the error message arise?
the plugin is NOT visable in the TOOLS/plugin window
can only view in the download folder.
attempt to "import plgin"

I have used the plugin or earlier v Fh , but I cannot say that occured in Fh V 7X - likley ony V6X

I do appreciate your expertise and acknowlesge my deficits -

Darryl w
Attachments
plugin error 02.PNG
plugin error 02.PNG (34.14 KiB) Viewed 3035 times
plugin error 01.PNG
plugin error 01.PNG (36.7 KiB) Viewed 3035 times
BillH
Megastar

Post by BillH »

Darryl,

What happens if you just go to the download folder and click (or double click) on the file Backup and Restore Family Historian Settings.fh_lua? That should also attempt to install it.

Bill
Bill Henshaw
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I guess you used the Import... button highlighted in the Plugins window.
Try using the File > Import/Export > Import > Plugin... command instead.
As Bill says, just run the ...\Downloads\Backup and Restore Family Historian Settings.fh_lua file by double-clicking it.

If they all still fail, try another plugin from the Plugin Store.
Does that fail in the same way?
If YES, then there is something more fundamentally wrong with your FH installation that needs to be investigated.
If that imports OK, then download the Backup and Restore Family Historian Settings plugin from the Plugin Store again and try its Import again.

BTW:
You say you ran this Plugin (and perhaps others) in FH v6.2 so why is the Tools > Plugins window empty?
Installing FH v7.0 does not wipe out old Plugins but does mark them as Disabled.
Have you deleted all those Disabled plugins or is there some other 'history' to this FH v7.0 installation like it is on a new PC?
Darryl-W
Gold

Post by Darryl-W »

I am in awe of the response,
However, I have followed ALL the suggestions given and the situtaion has not changed.
I am now stuck.
I need the backup plugin becuse FH will throw out my settings and queries etc if I reinsatll.
I think a reinstall might fix the situation but - then the plugin will be redunant as I see it as chicken and egg.
Darryl W
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

So you are saying that trying to install every Plugin fails in the same way?

You did not answer the questions about why there is nothing listed in the Plugins window or how you installed FH.
Have you been deleting anything that you shouldn't?

As an experiment, I have removed the C:\ProgramData\Calico Pie\Family Historian\Plugins\ folder.
Now my Tools > Plugins window is empty and Import... a plugin fails with the same cannot install error as for you.
So is it possible that you have accidentally deleted that Plugins folder?
I suspect this is the cause of your symptoms.
So please confirm whether the C:\ProgramData\Calico Pie\Family Historian\Plugins\ folder exists.
If you cannot find the C:\ProgramData folder then see the Family Historian Program Data Folder advice.

If you are concerned about backing up your custom settings then there are other techniques than using the Plugin.
It just involves a little more effort on your part to use standard Windows tools to perform the backup.
Most customizations are saved in the Family Historian Program Data Folder so you can use Windows File Explorer to copy that entire Family Historian folder to your backup media.

BTW: Installing FH does NOT usually 'throw out your settings and queries etc' as they are generally all retained.
Darryl-W
Gold

Post by Darryl-W »

Yes its possible and forensically obvious that I deleted the plugin folder.
Absolutley unintentional as until today I did not know of its existance let alone its location.

The plugin folder might exist in a (win10) backup somewhere but if I retrrive it will it run or should I not waste my time?.

I was under the impression from an earlier exchange that the Plugin backup option was the be all and end all of the backup preocedure ==now I have to do things the hard way.
I am a simple user of the software, I struggle with complex "work arounds" that the more savvy user may find easy.

I need to fix my current issue, make a proper backup and prevent the re occuarnce of the deleted plugin drama.

I short I need help , I really need help.
Ron Melby
Megastar
Family Historian: V6.2

Post by Ron Melby »

is it still in your recycle bin?
there is recuva

https://www.ccleaner.com/recuva it takes a while but if you absolutely positively need it....
FH V.6.2.7 Win 10 64 bit
BillH
Megastar

Post by BillH »

So, in the C:\ProgramData\Calico Pie\Family Historian\Plugins\ folder you are missing a Plugins folder.
Are you also missing a Plugin Data folder there?

I would try to recreate the missing folder(s) from the last backup you did using the Backup and Restore Family Historian Settings plugin.
  • Close Family Historian.
  • Locate the folder that contains the last backup you did with the Backup and Restore Family Historian Settings plugin using File Explorer.
  • Open the Family Historian folder in that folder.
  • Open the Program Data folder in that folder.
  • Copy the Plugins folder in that folder into the C:\ProgramData\Calico Pie\Family Historian\ folder.
  • If you are also missing the C:\ProgramData\Calico Pie\Family Historian\Plugin Data\ folder, repeat the above process to copy the Plugin Data folder.
  • Start Family Historian.
Now do the plugins show in Tools > Plugins? Can you install a plugin?

Another option might be to just install FH 7.0.7 over the top of your existing installation of 7.0.7. This shouldn't upset any settings that you have currently. I just don't know if that will recreate your missing folder(s) and even if it did, the folders would be empty.

Bill
Bill Henshaw
Darryl-W
Gold

Post by Darryl-W »

Hello BillH

I must report success by accesing , as you suggested, a prevoius backup.

Your patience and explanation and knowldge have saved the day.

Thank you so very much

Darryl