* Problem writing to Where within Source Using Flexible CSV Importer Plugin

For users to report plugin bugs and request plugin enhancements; and for authors to test new/new versions of plugins, and to discuss plugin development (in the Programming Technicalities sub-forum). If you want advice on choosing or using a plugin, please ask in General Usage or an appropriate sub-forum.
sleepingwolf
Gold
Family Historian: V7

Problem writing to Where within Source Using Flexible CSV Importer Plugin

Post by sleepingwolf »

I am using this plugn to import BMD information for a One name study. Everything is working perfectly except I cannot get the plugin to write a text string to where within source in the source citation. I have tried various permutations of column header in the CSV file and have tried selecting the correct record detail and field labels on the field integration tab without success. It makes no difference whether I select an existing source (which I would prefer to do) or define a new source in the CSV file. The header title remains red and no data is written to where within source. Could you suggest what I might be doing wrong?

CSV Importer Img 01.JPG
CSV Importer Img 01.JPG (88.19 KiB) Viewed 1965 times
tatewise
Megastar

Re: Problem writing to Where within Source Using Flexible CSV Importer Plugin

Post by tatewise »

Please read the Help provided and try the sample demonstration data. In particular see the Sources section.

The SOUR.PAGE and similar references need a SOUR>TITL column to identify the Source record that the Citation links to.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
sleepingwolf
Gold

Post by sleepingwolf »

Thank you. I have got data written to Where within Source now.
I am still confused about the purpose of Selecting an existing source. I had wrongly assumed that this was to allow a global source/ citation to be applied. This is clearly not the case. I found the Help information vague about this option. If I have to paste the source title into every row in my CSV import file to write data to where within source/text from source/assessment etc for a global citation why do I need to select the source at all?
This is just curiosity. I think this is remarkably powerful and useful plugin that will save me a huge amount of time and I am grateful for the work you put into it.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

The plugin user dialogue Settings section is independent of any Sources specified in the CSV file.
If Add a source citation to every item imported is Yes then a Source Citation is added to every imported item.
If Select existing source record for such citations is Yes then those Citations are linked to the chosen Source record, otherwise, a Source record with a Title the same as the CSV filename is created and the Citations linked to that.
With these options, Citation field values (such as Where Used) cannot be entered. The Citations just link to the Source.

Any Source Citation columns in the CSV file are in addition to the above user options.
So a SOUR>TITL must be provided to allow any other associated fields to be imported.
If that Title matches an existing Source record then any fields are applied to that record, otherwise, a new Source record is created and any fields applied to that.
Any Citation fields in the CSV (such as Where Used) are linked to the associated Source record.

So if you want a global Source record for such Citations then its Title must be defined on every row. Sorry.
However, I thought it was easy to drag a copy of a cell down a spreadsheet column.
Otherwise, how does the plugin know which Source record the Citation must be linked to?

Possibly a plugin enhancement could be that if no SOUR>TITL is defined in the CSV and Add a source citation to every item imported is Yes then use that global Source record for the Citations in the CSV.
But should they be in addition to or instead of the Citations associated with that Settings option?
It is dilemmas such as that which persuaded us to keep the Settings and the CSV source citation features separate.

I will review the Help page to see if it can be made any clearer.
Please, could you provide some feedback on where you think it should be improved?
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
sleepingwolf
Gold

Post by sleepingwolf »

Thanks for the explanation. The separation of settings and import file data is much clearer. I have a heavy workload this week but I'll get back to you in a day or so with feedback on the plugin Help. It takes me a while to get my ideas into a coherent form these days.