* Map Life Facts help

For users to report plugin bugs and request plugin enhancements; and for authors to test new/new versions of plugins, and to discuss plugin development (in the Programming Technicalities sub-forum). If you want advice on choosing or using a plugin, please ask in General Usage or an appropriate sub-forum.
AdrianBruce
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: Map Life Facts help

Post by AdrianBruce »

BillH wrote: 24 Jun 2021 18:05 ... At first it was a little confusing that Plotted means "fully plotted lat/long" and Tentative means "tentative plot lat/long". I think of both as being fully plotted (they both have been geocoded and have lat/long values). ...
Bill - so far as I can see, the Tentative state is exclusively set or removed by the FH "Native" Geocoder. I had a number of places set to Tentative before all this recent processing started - and I have no idea why because I have the same attitude as you - I don't plot places if I'm not sure where they are, so I have no call for "Tentative". As a result, I basically ignore it.

I have now removed the Tentative "ratings" using the "Native" Geocoder.
Adrian
BillH
Megastar

Post by BillH »

Adrian,

I sometimes map places for an individual in the native geocoder before I get around to geocoding them in the plugin. If I do this the places that get newly assigned lat/long values in FH get flagged as Tentative. I have it set this way so that I will be reminded to use the plugin to set the "final" geocodes as I trust it more to get it right. Normally I don't have any Tentative locations in FH either.

Bill
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

The FH application of Tentative status depends on the Tools > Preferences > Map Window settings.
The default is Mark Auto-geocodes as Tentative If : Partial/uncertain matches, i.e. if not all Place parts were used to form the auto-geocode plot.
Tentative status is indicated in the Map Window by giving the lefthand tick icon a red background.
It is easy to list all Tentative status Places in the Map Window, select them and right-click Geocoding > Unmark as Tentative.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry