* Search and Replace Plug In (FH V7)

For users to report plugin bugs and request plugin enhancements; and for authors to test new/new versions of plugins, and to discuss plugin development (in the Programming Technicalities sub-forum). If you want advice on choosing or using a plugin, please ask in General Usage or an appropriate sub-forum.
Lovelyclemmy
Silver
Family Historian: V7

Search and Replace Plug In (FH V7)

Post by Lovelyclemmy »

Having now realised that some of my places need tidying up I have been trying to use the Search and Replace plug in. I want to expand all the Chapman abbreviations, So, for example I previously used VT and want to replace with Vermont. I am sure that I had done something similar before but now I keep getting a memo headed 3.3 which I have to confess I don't understand. (see screenshot)

Also, I realise now that foolishly I didn't add country to all my places and wonder if there is a way to do this using search and replace (or any other method).

Thanks

Lesley
Attachments
Screnshot
Screnshot
Query.jpg (18.4 KiB) Viewed 1655 times
tatewise
Megastar

Re: Search and Replace Plug In (FH V7)

Post by tatewise »

Firstly, check the Help & Advice page Usage Examples for Place Name Changes to avoid mishaps.

Secondly, enable Show White Space so you can see newline characters as Pilcrow.

Your screenshot is very fuzzy but I think it is saying you have entered a newline character that is not allowed in one-line text fields like Place names.

You can add Country but I will explain the details tomorrow.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Lovelyclemmy
Silver

Post by Lovelyclemmy »

Thank you - I have got the plug in running correctly now. Look forward to any advice about adding countries ..
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

If the Chapman abbreviations are the last part of each Place field then it is probably easier to change the Chapman codes and country at the same time.

If the Case Sensitive option is chosen then the uppercase Chapman codes are unlikely to occur elsewhere in Place names.
So when changing code XYZ use Replace: County, Country and repeat for each code in turn.

If the Chapman abbreviations are NOT the last part of each Place field or you need to anchor them to the end of the Place field let me know and I can explain some other techniques.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry