* debug problem? and still out of memory problem

For users to report plugin bugs and request plugin enhancements; and for authors to test new/new versions of plugins, and to discuss plugin development (in the Programming Technicalities sub-forum). If you want advice on choosing or using a plugin, please ask in General Usage or an appropriate sub-forum.
Ron Melby
Megastar
Family Historian: V6.2

debug problem? and still out of memory problem

Post by Ron Melby »

it seems to me from my rummaging around that fh must build their own lua5.1.dll (in my case, windows 10, fh6.7.2, 16MB memory)

I have a huge table.

as I build it, finished in the program, in debug it shows:
_famOBJ table(#3171, .3029)

I can look at the table.

Now, lets say I rebuild it (I have completely gotten out of fh, ran cc cleaner, or any number of cleaners, go back in to fh, which should leave me clean in every respect, and a fresh start.

in my program, i first load the table, then clear it.
_famOBJ = {}

(I know I dont have to load it, just create an empty table, process, and write over the old one, but for debugging its, how I do it.)
when I load the table and stop before the 'clear' statement and try to display it, I get out of memory. fair enough, there is a good sized program there, and with debug... ok, so make a minimal program to load just the table return. put my point on the return statement. No out of memory error, but when It brings up the table to inspect the table, it is blank in the program, but shows on the variable screen as:
_famOBJ table(#1,.3029)

0n disk the table is 187911KB, considering overhead the table in program cannot be more than 4 times that, can it? so the table in program is only 3/4 mb, I think there is something terribly wrong with fh memory management, must be scads of leaks....what other possibility is there?
FH V.6.2.7 Win 10 64 bit
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: debug problem? and still out of memory problem

Post by tatewise »

Certainly, FH has precompiled its version of Lua including the FH API and Lua libraries.
They are all installed with FH.

If the table is 187,911 KB then 4 times that is 751,644 KB or about 752 MB which is approaching 1 Gigabyte.
That is quite big!

What exactly do you mean by "it is blank in the program".

If you run for j,k in pairs (_famOBJ) do are you saying it finds no table entries?
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Ron Melby
Megastar

Post by Ron Melby »

no the table is there, I am saying if I grab it up by inspecting the variable _famOBJ, with debug in an otherwise absolutely minimal program, it brings up a blank inspection window, no data shows. but it is there. If I do it in a normal program it runs out of memory, and does not show the inspection window. But it is there, and I can operate on it.
FH V.6.2.7 Win 10 64 bit
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Post by tatewise »

Sorry, but I don't think I can help. You seem to be reaching the limits of what is supported.
I suggest you contact CP and see if they have any ideas.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Ron Melby
Megastar

Post by Ron Melby »

after several backs and forths and many many reruns of my code, here is what I know.

fh tells me that fh limit is around 1GB for mem. (not straightforwardly) but consider it the limit.

they do not clean up at plugins end correctly (no other explanation is possible)

I run my code with 3032 humongous table records built (no debug)
finish that program writing table to disk.
run another program to debug and display the table. (out of memory)

then
run the program building the table and write it to disk
exit fh
run fh
run plugin debug and display table
success although I am at limit cannot add any more records and debug that table successfully. it goes to 1002.x mb on the task manager screen.

I have written a ticket to fh about all of it, and I will see what they say.

this is not to say that the table cannot be bigger (not much bigger though), but should be able to do more with the program without failure, just not debug that table.

so:
I have two outstanding problems, which I will address in thread k, v -- can't see the forest for the trees (19305).

Actually one of those problems is my last post on that thread, and no takers, I will add the other problem as well.
FH V.6.2.7 Win 10 64 bit