* Export Gedcom File plugin review

For users to report plugin bugs and request plugin enhancements; and for authors to test new/new versions of plugins, and to discuss plugin development (in the Programming Technicalities sub-forum). If you want advice on choosing or using a plugin, please ask in General Usage or an appropriate sub-forum.
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Export Gedcom File plugin review

Post by tatewise »

There have been a significant number of recent updates to this plugin and I would like to review all the cumulative fixes before publishing it in the Plugin Store. The fixes include:
  • Obtain default font size & name from Windows Registry for use in Rich Text exported in HTML 5 format;
  • Correctly convert Residence (family) facts to EVEN or _ATTR or RESI tags for all target products;
  • When using Media uppercase Keywords for TNG media collection _TYPE, omit unnecessary local labelled Note;
  • Allow any Media popup error reports to be inhibited and logged in the Result Set instead;
  • Use Windows File System Object Copy File to copy unaltered Media files instead of Lua file copying;
  • Aggressive garbage memory management to avoid memory errors and put memory usage counts in Result Set;
  • Fix a problem with % characters in Media Titles when exporting to MyHeritage;
  • Fix a problem with very long sequences of space characters in text such as Note and Text From Source fields;
  • Templated Source Repository metafields now exported as a labelled Note as well as a generic link;
Please try the attached Export Gedcom File plugin Version 4.4.6 Date 20 Apr 2021 in a ZIP file.
This must be right-clicked and Extract All... used to obtain the plugin file to import to FH.
[ EDIT: Attachment delete as in Plugin Store. ]
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
ADC65
Superstar

Re: Export Gedcom File plugin review

Post by ADC65 »

I have downloaded and installed the latest plugin you attached Mike.

I did a full export including all the media, as we have discussed in another thread.

All worked fine as far as I can see. No image-export errors were generated and the whole export took about the same time as previously discussed (approximately 8m 30s). I have not looked for any other problems specifically, as none of the ones mentioned were affecting me anyway, but the file looks fine generally and an import to TNG did not report any errors or anything unexpected.

I hope this helps. I'm happy to test anything specific you need me to. Thanks for your continuing support of this plugin.

Adrian
Adrian Cook
Researching Cook, Summers, Phipps and Bradford, mainly in Wales and the South West of England
kempons
Gold

Post by kempons »

Mike,

Using your new ExportGedcom release candidate, I have successfully exported a gedcom from FH for TNG.

There were no errors, memory management worked well. Thanks for all your help on this.

Regards,
Andrew
Andrew Kemp - conducting Kemp/Camp worldwide one-name study at https://www.kempfamilyhistory.com
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

tatewise wrote: 21 Apr 2021 11:18 There have been a significant number of recent updates to this plugin and I would like to review all the cumulative fixes before publishing it in the Plugin Store. The fixes include:
  • Templated Source Repository metafields now exported as a labelled Note as well as a generic link;
I may be making a basic mistake, but exporting to various formats:
  • The template fields are moved to a note, including one for the repository (so that bit works)
  • The source is left totally blank except for a repository link (no title).
Is this expected?
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

As far as I can tell with my tests, all the exported Source Records have a TITL derived from the Project Source Records.
The Plugin performs very few conversions of Source Record TITL fields, unless you choose the Reformat Metafields option you requested, which moves the Title to the Short Title and sets Title to the Footnote plain text.
See https://pluginstore.family-historian.co ... ptions-tab
Some export modes move the Short Title ABBR to TITL.
Which GEDCOM Export Mode: products have you chosen?
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

ANC, GST, Std UTF, Str UTF8

Using Std UTF8 with all options set to default:

Input source:
before.png
before.png (65.1 KiB) Viewed 3044 times
Output Gedcom (viewed using Wordpad; not opened in FH)

0 @S41@ SOUR
1 NOTE @N6@
1 REPO @R4@
1 NOTE Type: Birth
2 CONT Region: England and Wales
2 CONT Principal: Joe BLOGGS
2 CONT Date: 2 JAN 1890
2 CONT Location: Edinburgh
2 CONT Repository: Collection of Nigel Munro
1 CHAN
2 DATE 26 APR 2021
3 TIME 11:59:13
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Thank you for spotting that problem, Helen.
The bug has been there a while and was deleting various lines by mistake when a generic Repository link was inserted.
When a templated Source has its Title autogenerated the TITL line moves and becomes the line deleted by mistake.
It was a very simple fix once identified. I'm glad I posted a prototype for testing before publishing.

Try the attached Export Gedcom File plugin Version 4.4.7 Date 26 Apr 2021 in a ZIP file.
This must be right-clicked and Extract All... used to obtain the plugin file to import to FH.
[ EDIT: Attachment delete as in Plugin Store. ]
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

Thanks, Mike. For my test cases that works as expected.