* Import of RM7 Citations

For users to report plugin bugs and request plugin enhancements; and for authors to test new/new versions of plugins, and to discuss plugin development (in the Programming Technicalities sub-forum). If you want advice on choosing or using a plugin, please ask in General Usage or an appropriate sub-forum.
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: Import of RM7 Citations

Post by tatewise »

Regarding Marks' posting in Plugins planned/in progress (19399) regarding the saving of Source Template definitions as a separate self-contained plugin...

Just a thought. Why not integrate the saving of Source Template definitions into the existing plugin with an option to just create Source Template definitions from the Project records? Actually, that choice could be semi-automatic by detecting the existence of Source Template records in the RootsMagic Collection and lack of matching definition files.

Does the existing plugin already check for the existence of Source Template records in the RootsMagic Collection and abort?
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Mark1834
Megastar

Post by Mark1834 »

Deliberate choice for several reasons. If FH7 has no native ability to create a definition from a user-defined Template, a separate plugin is probably required anyway. I’m also reluctant to issue a new version while folks are still testing the previous release. No feedback either way, so I assume that means no major issues have been uncovered...

It needs a bit of thought on how to best set it up within the existing plugin. It would need some sort of interface, so upgraders can just update the definitions without reimporting the GEDCOM. It’s already robust to being run twice on the same database and avoids creating duplicates, so that’s not a problem (but it might duplicate error reports, as I deliberately don’t delete the superfluous UDF fields that the plugin doesn’t understand).

Overall, I think the best approach is to start with a separate plugin that existing users can apply straight away. Once that is proven to work as intended, we can move on later to pasting essentially the same code into the existing RM plugin, along with a suitable simple interface.
Mark Draper
BakerJL75
Famous

Post by BakerJL75 »

I'm sorry. I meant to give you feedback. Import RootsMagic 7 Templated Sources (0.6) worked well for me.
Thanks,
Jackie
Ruth
Gold

Post by Ruth »

Sorry Mark, I have held of responding due to some problems I am having.

I imported a small section of my tree to test the latest plugin and everything worked

However, when I imported my full file, the plugin freezes. All my templates are custom made, and I have been testing these to see if this is the problem.

I have made several changes to my templates over the past weeks, and noticed that the gedcom file did not match up with what was in the template. I have been changing the template back to match the exported version, and this appears to help, unfortunately, I now have a mixture of old and new formats (if that makes sense), and I think this may be causing the program to freeze.

A gedcom problem was reported on the RM facebook page 3 weeks ago. When you make changes to a template in RM, the program can hide some of the fields. The solution was to do a drag and drop, however this did not work. I believe the problem has been reported.

I may have to go back to an older backup version, before all of the adjustments and give that a try.

How does FH read the imported file.? Do the fields have to be in the same order as the footnote.?

I have moved the footnote fields around to the format I want. eg Baptism (PR) England, Location, date etc. However, some of these fields are source and others are citations. Does this make a difference?
I usually lump under name of database eg 1841 census, 1851 census, and not one entry per person.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Ruth, can you be more specific when you say the plugin freezes.
How long do you leave it running? With a large Project sometimes Plugins can take a while to work through the data.
Does the main window top border say Not Responding?

I don't know whether this Plugin has a Progress Bar to indicate it is still working and how far it has progressed.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Mark1834
Megastar

Post by Mark1834 »

Away from home with minimal phone signal today, but could you post any error message please. That will tell me where the problem occurred. If it is a malformed GEDCOM, I'm confident we'll be able to sort it.
Mark Draper
Ruth
Gold

Post by Ruth »

It starts out ok, then says not responding. There is a progress bar, I get a thin green bar but it doesn’t progress. Then I get an error saying not responding.

I think it may be my database. I have just restored an earlier backup, prior to the adjustments I made. Exported a sample file and it worked. If I have any further problems I will let you know.
Mark1834
Megastar

Post by Mark1834 »

The attached plugin creates Source Template Definitions for all user-defined or imported templates. It requires all Templates to have a defined Name and Collection in order to create the definition file. These are mandatory fields when the Template is created via Tools>Source Template Definitions, but not when it is created from the Records Window or by a plugin.

Once the definition has been created, individual Collections can be used in other Projects, or copied to a different PC via the FH File>Import/Export>Export>Source Template Collection menu.

The plugin can be used for any Source Templates created in code or via the Records Window that do not have a corresponding definition, not just those imported from RootsMagic. The user has the option of creating all missing definitions automatically, or confirming each new definition individually if you do not want to create all definitions for some reason.
Last edited by Mark1834 on 24 May 2021 14:05, edited 1 time in total.
Mark Draper
BakerJL75
Famous

Post by BakerJL75 »

Just got up, I'm in the US. But I'll give this a try in a while and let you know.
Thanks,
Jackie
BakerJL75
Famous

Post by BakerJL75 »

It worked great. It will save me a lot of time. Thank you!
Thanks,
Jackie
Ruth
Gold

Post by Ruth »

It worked for me also. Thank you.