* Export GEDCOM Plugin 4.4 - TNG Option

For users to report plugin bugs and request plugin enhancements; and for authors to test new/new versions of plugins, and to discuss plugin development (in the Programming Technicalities sub-forum). If you want advice on choosing or using a plugin, please ask in General Usage or an appropriate sub-forum.
rfj1001
Superstar
Family Historian: V7

Export GEDCOM Plugin 4.4 - TNG Option

Post by rfj1001 »

I've just been reading the other recent post on the TNG option. Mine covers a different issue using this option but also affects the 5.5 option as well. So there may be others

This is the first time I've used this plugin. My gedcom file now has 15,000 individual records and, over the years, all sorts of data integrity errors have crept in which, to date were either unimportant or unrecognised.

However, the data validation on this plugin is so robust that it is picking up all these errors. That's great, but the disadvantage is I have to click on each problem identified before it finds the next. I'm having to click OK to skipping each missing multi-media file; then I have the duplicates images, place names, etc. to click through, etc.. After 10 minutes of this, the progress bar is not even past 0% :(

My own situation is that I don't actually need the images to be included, just the gedcom. But it would be great if there was a bulk update option (like search and replace in Word) where there is a choice where the change could be applied to just the first instance identified or all similar ones identified.

So my questions are :
  • is there a way I can just export the gedcom in TNG format
  • would it be feasible/possible to have this bulk update option in a future option
Any other advice to quickly get a copy of my gedcom in TNG format (5.5) would be much appreciated.

Many thanks.
tatewise
Megastar

Re: Export GEDCOM Plugin 4.4 - TNG Option

Post by tatewise »

Most, if not all, of the features you request are already available.
I presume you are using GEDCOM Export Mode: (TNG) The Next Generation

When exporting GEDCOM it is worthwhile ensuring your FH Project is as 'tidy' as reasonably possible.
This Plugin relies on there being no 'unexpected' data or UDF to perform its conversion to the target product format.
Also, the target product may not handle such 'unexpected' data or UDF very well.
So it is advisable to follow the Help & Advice given in https://pluginstore.family-historian.co ... edcom-file
The associated help pages also explain all the options provided by the Plugin.

There is a prototype version of the Plugin attached to Export Gedcom / FH7 problem? (18417) that for each Media error, such as file missing, allows all future similar errors to be skipped. That feature will be in the next published version.

However, to omit Media altogether and avoid such errors use Multimedia Conversion: (WIPE~ALL) Remove all the Multimedia entirely

To avoid the tidy Place name duplicates messages, open the Extra Options tab and untick the Tidy Places & Addresses option bottom left.

Among the Help pages, there is ‘GEDCOM Export Mode’ Advice that refers to (TNG) The Next Generation mode and provides advice on TNG settings and options. If you need any further advice then please ask.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
rfj1001
Superstar

Post by rfj1001 »

Thanks Mike,

I'll work my way through your advice.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Please see Export Gedcom File plugin review (19328) that has an option for skipping Media errors.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry