* FH shutting down while debugging

For users to report plugin bugs and request plugin enhancements; and for authors to test new/new versions of plugins, and to discuss plugin development (in the Programming Technicalities sub-forum). If you want advice on choosing or using a plugin, please ask in General Usage or an appropriate sub-forum.
shoshk
Superstar
Family Historian: V7

FH shutting down while debugging

Post by shoshk »

I'm wondering if anybody else has observed this behavior.

I'll be running code, making small changes, when suddenly, when making the next run, FH just shuts down. Restarting FH does not fix the problem. Once this behavior occurs, the only thing that fixes it is restarting my computer.
Shosh Kalson
johnmorrisoniom
Megastar

Re: FH shutting down while debugging

Post by johnmorrisoniom »

Check that you have no Windows updates pending.
I have quite often found that Windows can stop things working properly when an update is pending.

Regards
John
shoshk
Superstar

Post by shoshk »

No windows updates pending.

I've only observed this behavior since upgrading the FH7.
Shosh Kalson
Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane »

I have not had any problems that needed rebooting, I have seen a few problems if using IUP and "crashing" while dead in the bowels of IUP, but other than that not seen the symptoms you are reporting. I wonder if it's a combination of Zerobranes debugger and FHs
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
Ron Melby
Megastar
Family Historian: V6.2

Post by Ron Melby »

I am full of this sort of behavior from fh.
everyone up to date.

I do a lot of bad coding of grand designs....LOL.
if you do stepwise refinement and debug a great deal, it can auger in pretty quickly.

do you have CC Cleaner? if not get the free download. Also, find your TEMP and TMP and add them to custom clean.
It usually clears up the prob, but every once in a while, I do have to do a reboot to get out of it.

Tatewise used to ask me why my paint pngs I posted here had big white space at the bottoms.
I think somewhere along the line whatever it is you are doing is trashing video mem somehow, once I started running CC cleaner, (after getting out of fh, at some random point when doing big and heavy debugs) that also went away. and as for IUP, yeah, that is horrid insofar as recovering goes.
https://www.ccleaner.com/ccleaner/download (bottom of this page, free download)
FH V.6.2.7 Win 10 64 bit
shoshk
Superstar

Post by shoshk »

I have used the stepwise method of development for a long time. Until I upgraded to FH7, I never had any problems.

Jane, I use the Zerobrane debugger infrequently; it is my primary editor. I'm not quite sure why there would be an interaction with FH.

Ron, as a longtime systems and infrastructure person, I can't bring myself to use an automatic cleaning program. It's not a bad solution for many, but I like to have absolute control over the cleaning process.
Shosh Kalson