* V7 Record Census Data (UK) - Ver 1.4

For users to report plugin bugs and request plugin enhancements; and for authors to test new/new versions of plugins, and to discuss plugin development (in the Programming Technicalities sub-forum). If you want advice on choosing or using a plugin, please ask in General Usage or an appropriate sub-forum.
Electrovellum
Gold
Family Historian: V7

V7 Record Census Data (UK) - Ver 1.4

Post by Electrovellum »

When I click on Run, it responds: "Not all required fields set, please ensure you have entered region, year, head of household and location." The only possible response is OK, which exits the plugin. The Census Data Input form shown on the entry in the Plugin Store description does not appear. Help!!
Jane
Site Admin

Re: V7 Record Census Data (UK) - Ver 1.4

Post by Jane »

Have you set all the fields shown on the citation window?
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
Electrovellum
Gold

Post by Electrovellum »

Sorry, no. I didn't appreciate the need to do that first. Thanks for your help.
Kathryn
Gold
Family Historian: V6

Post by Kathryn »

I'm having the same problem. I usually use Ancestral Sources but as there is no template for the 1921 census in AS I thought I'd try this. I've added a citation with the fields listed but I get the same error message every time. I'm obviously doing something wrong but I can't work out what. Can anyone suggest how I can get this plugin to work please?
ADC65
Superstar

Post by ADC65 »

I can't help with the plugin Kathryn, but there is a user-written template update for Ancestral Sources for the 1921 Census. See the following threads:

https://www.fhug.org.uk/forum/viewtopic ... 34&t=20047

https://www.fhug.org.uk/forum/viewtopic ... 34&t=20123
Adrian Cook
Researching Cook, Summers, Phipps and Bradford, mainly in Wales and the South West of England
Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane »

Kathryn wrote: 06 Jan 2022 13:40 Can anyone suggest how I can get this plugin to work please?
If you post a picture of your Prepared Citation window we can see if we can spot what you are missing. Remember you need to use the Prepare Citation option from the Source drop down to get started.
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
Kathryn
Gold

Post by Kathryn »

Thank you. I didn't know I had to use the Prepare citation option. I had just added a citation, but having gone into Prepare Citation and chosen the citation I had added, I now have the option to add details, so it appears to be working.
I will also check out the AS option too as I didn't know someone had added a 1921 option.
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

Kathryn,

If you don't like the template that the DEA provides, I can tell you how to easily customise it (no codes involved, just a bit of text editing within FH).

And if you don't like the DEA results, you can use Edit > Undo Plugin Updates (as long as you haven't closed FH after running the plugin).
Kathryn
Gold

Post by Kathryn »

Thank you, that's very kind of you but I've used AS for years and really like it, so I'm now thinking that I may just wait for Nick Walker to add the 1921 template.
NickWalker
Megastar

Post by NickWalker »

Hi Kathryn

There is an Ancestral Sources 1921 census template that a user has created on this thread: https://www.fhug.org.uk/forum/viewtopic ... 34&t=20047. It is likely that the version I release with AS will be based on this. Part way down the thread I explain how you can import this template.

Best wishes

Nick
Nick Walker
Ancestral Sources Developer

https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/ancestral-sources/
Kathryn
Gold

Post by Kathryn »

Thank you Nick. I had seen that template but didn't know how to use it! I've now successfully imported it into AS. BTW I think the correct thread is https://www.fhug.org.uk/forum/viewtopic ... 92#p120292
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

Kathryn wrote: 06 Jan 2022 15:32 Thank you, that's very kind of you but I've used AS for years and really like it, so I'm now thinking that I may just wait for Nick Walker to add the 1921 template.
No problem...
Ozgen
Silver

1921 UK census souce data entry

Post by Ozgen »

Thanks in advance for your help.
I'm currently running FH v7.0.9 and do not use AS.
I enter source info via a 'prepared citation' and then via 'text from source' I add the info using 'add to source record' and choose the appropriate template eg 1911 UK census. How do I add a 1921 UK census? Under 'add text to source' the only options are 1941-1911 uk census templates and 1939 Register template.
I didn't think it was relevant but just in case I've updated the Record Census Data (UK) plug in and I have ensured I have entered all the info in the 'prepared citation'-to no avail
I'm keen to start entering my 1921 census info. Do we have to wait for a FH version update?

Regards
Sue R
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

Sue,

it doesn't sound as if you're using the Record Census Data (UK) DEA, but doing everything yourself -- is that correct?

If so, you will need to create your own Autotext for the 1921 census.

Tools > Manage Autotext. Expand 'Text from Source' and then 'UK'. At this point you can either do Add; or (my recommendation) Clone (using the 1911 census as a starting point) and Edit the result to match what you want for the 1921 census.

If you wanted, you could try the Census DEA to see if it makes things easier for you -- it will automatically create the Text from Source and all the facts, based on information you enter. And if you don't like the result, simply Edit > Undo Plugin Updates before you close FH.
Ozgen
Silver

Post by Ozgen »

Thanks Helen
Cloning the 1911 census and then editing to conform with the 1921 census info is exactly what I was looking for.
Sue
fhtess65
Megastar

Post by fhtess65 »

Does anyone have a Source for the 1921 Census they can share so I can use the DEA (after preparing the citation)...I was going round and round with variations last night and haven't been happy with any of my results. I have hard time wrapping my mind around the source templates in FH compared to RootsMagic. I prefer Strathclyde method, but am happy to go with anything that captures all the information.

I wasn't sure if this question belonged here or on the general board, but would like to use the DEA once I have a source and prepared citation I'm happy with. Please move if it's in the wrong spot.

Thanks.
---
Teresa Basińska Eckford
Librarian & family historian
http://writingmypast.wordpress.com
Researching: Spong, Ferdinando, Taylor, Lawley, Sinkins, Montgomery; Basiński, Hilferding, Ratowski, Paszkiewicz
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

The DEA works with the Essentials Census template, which is more or less based on the Strathclyde method. Does that not work for you?
fhtess65
Megastar

Post by fhtess65 »

ColeValleyGirl wrote: 12 Jan 2022 15:59 The DEA works with the Essentials Census template, which is more or less based on the Strathclyde method. Does that not work for you?
Ok - I will look again...I just have trouble wrapping my mind how to prepare the citation...

---
Teresa Basińska Eckford
Researching: Spong, Ferdinando, Taylor, Lawley, Sinkins, Montgomery; Basiński, Hilferding, Ratowski, Paszkiewicz
fhtess65
Megastar

Post by fhtess65 »

ColeValleyGirl wrote: 12 Jan 2022 15:59 The DEA works with the Essentials Census template, which is more or less based on the Strathclyde method. Does that not work for you?
Sorry, Helen, I'm missing something...HOW do I start? Do I Create a Source from Template? When I tried that, I didn't see any way to bring up the Census from the Essentials Collection.

If so, why am I putting in the Head of Household if this is a template for every household I add? And why would I add all the reference information? If I did this in RootsMagic, this would mean everyone had the same info, and that's not right?

Or is this just an example?

Sorry to seem so dim.
---
Teresa Basińska Eckford
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

Source+ button on the main toolbar > Create Source from Template.

You'll be shown a list of all the templates you've added to the Project . If the Essentials collection Census Return template isn't listed, use the Find More... button at the bottom, and locate the template, select it and use Add to Project button at the bottom. Close that window, and you will see the Census Return template listed. Select it, and then use the Create Source button at the bottom.

You'll see an empty form with all the fields from the template, but all the data you enter here will only apply to the source you're creating, not to every source. Complete it, and then use the Data Entry Assistant dropdown below the form to choose the Record Census Data (UK) DEA.
fhtess65
Megastar

Post by fhtess65 »

Ok, thanks...So this first "prepared citation" is just an example for the DEA to follow? I think that's what tripped me up.

Will have a go.

Thanks for your patience!
---
Teresa Basińska Eckford
fhtess65
Megastar

Post by fhtess65 »

Hi Helen,

Ok - I see how it works now. Very cool. Only thing is, I've found the citation still not complete.

This is what I get:

1921 England and Wales census, 75 Defoe Road, Tooting, Wandsworth, London, General Register Office; 1921 Census Returns; Class: RG 15; Piece: 2391; Administration Area: 05/05; Registration District: Wandsworth, No. 26; Registration Subdistrict: Tooting, 6; Enumeration District: 19. , head of household: Frederick Edward Ferdinando, The National Archives UK.

It tells me who the Head of Household is, but not the name of the person of interest or anything else about them. Here is the citation I created myself in a word processor:

Census returns. England. Tooting, Wandsworth, London. 19 Jun 1921. Ferdinando, Frederick Arthur (age 23); No. of schedule: 311; Line: 3; citing: The National Archives; General Register Office; 1921 Census Returns; Class: RG 15; Piece: 2391; Administration Area: 05/05; Registration District: Wandsworth, No. 26; Registration Subdistrict: Tooting, 6; Enumeration District: 19. Collection: 1921 England and Wales Census - digital image. FindMyPast. acc: 06 Jan 2022. Note: Address: 75 Defoe Road; Frederick's exact age: 23 years, 7 months; Occupation: Clerk; Employer: Greenhill & Sons Ltd.

I've been trying to figure out how to amend a copy of the Essentials Census Template to reproduce the above, but haven't quite got there yet. I do like the way the DEA works, however.

Thanks for the help :)

Teresa

ColeValleyGirl wrote: 13 Jan 2022 09:12 Source+ button on the main toolbar > Create Source from Template.

You'll be shown a list of all the templates you've added to the Project . If the Essentials collection Census Return template isn't listed, use the Find More... button at the bottom, and locate the template, select it and use Add to Project button at the bottom. Close that window, and you will see the Census Return template listed. Select it, and then use the Create Source button at the bottom.

You'll see an empty form with all the fields from the template, but all the data you enter here will only apply to the source you're creating, not to every source. Complete it, and then use the Data Entry Assistant dropdown below the form to choose the Record Census Data (UK) DEA.
---
Teresa Basińska Eckford