* Review Folder Permissions Plugin Snippet

For users to report plugin bugs and request plugin enhancements; and for authors to test new/new versions of plugins, and to discuss plugin development (in the Programming Technicalities sub-forum). If you want advice on choosing or using a plugin, please ask in General Usage or an appropriate sub-forum.
Valkrider
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: Review Folder Permissions Plugin Snippet

Post by Valkrider »

Mike

I have in fact set it to E:\ for the projects folder. I have other mapped folders on my Mac HDD for other Windows apps to access. It seems as though it is FH that is reporting the location \\VBOXSVR\Family_Historian_Projects as that is what is set in the Project Window. I have now set it to E:\ BUT FH still reports the location as \\VBOXSVR\Family_Historian_Projects in your plugin. Most odd.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

@Mervyn ~ Crossover is almost certainly not running the ICACLS command, nor the WHOAMI /GROUPS command at all.
So nothing gets into the log file except the ECHO %UserDomain%\\%UserName% command.
Unless those ICACLS and WHOAMI commands can be installed in Crossover that is the way it is.
Eventually, the script I am developing will try this command prompt method and if it fails will revert to the current method of saving & deleting a file to the folder and suffer the change to the Date modified.

@Colin ~ Have you tried closing and re-opening FH which might reset things?
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Valkrider
Megastar

Post by Valkrider »

tatewise wrote: 18 May 2020 13:20 @Colin ~ Have you tried closing and re-opening FH which might reset things?
Spot on @Mike that has fixed it now reports as E:\
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

@Colin ~ Excellent! Is that something we need to add as advice in:- how_to:family_historian_v6_on_crossover_wine|> Family Historian V6 & Ancestral Sources V5 on Crossover, PlayOnLinux/Mac & Wine

Does Saturday's Plugin Version 0.7 now work without today's Version 0.8 fix for the network link?
Valkrider
Megastar

Post by Valkrider »

@Mike

No such luck unfortunately this is the result with 0.7
Screenshot 2020-05-18 at 19.42.53.png
Screenshot 2020-05-18 at 19.42.53.png (19.07 KiB) Viewed 4480 times
Whereas v0.8 still works fine.
mjashby
Megastar

Post by mjashby »

Colin/Mike,

Could this be significant:

"Shared folders physically reside on the host and are then shared with the guest, which uses a special file system driver in the Guest Additions to talk to the host. For Windows guests, shared folders are implemented as a pseudo-network redirector. For Linux and Oracle Solaris guests, the Guest Additions provide a virtual file system."

Source: VirtualBox User Manual Section 4.3

I'm sure the way shared Folders/Drives were presented changed some time ago, possibly when VirtualBox version 6.0.0 was introduced. Now it's up to 6.1.8

If I remember correctly, setting up shared drives in a Windows VM used to result in the automatic allocation of Drive letters starting with the next in the alpha sequence, but from 6.0.0 (I believe) things changed to allocation using the more normal networking convention of working backwards form Z: for attached Drives and displaying the 'network' address with the allocated Windows Drive Letter in brackets. In Windows programs running in a Windows VM you can select Drives by their Letter Code, but if you examine the actual address what you see is the full network path. 'File Manager' Images attached showing how shared Drives (Folders) are presented in Linux and Windows.

Mervyn
Attachments
Screenshot 2020-05-18 at 19.34.36.jpg
Screenshot 2020-05-18 at 19.34.36.jpg (47.86 KiB) Viewed 4469 times
Screenshot 2020-05-18 at 19.20.03.jpg
Screenshot 2020-05-18 at 19.20.03.jpg (50.46 KiB) Viewed 4472 times
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

@Colin ~ Thank you ~ I'll stick with the Version 0.8 script.

@Mervyn ~ It seems that drive configuration is not relevant to this permissions scenario.
Ron Melby
Megastar
Family Historian: V6.2

Post by Ron Melby »

Just for my edification, what is the issue faced with updating the date?
FH V.6.2.7 Win 10 64 bit
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Ron, see the latter postings in Backup and Restore Plug-In (17642) that discuss Date modified.