* COM Error

For users to report plugin bugs and request plugin enhancements; and for authors to test new/new versions of plugins, and to discuss plugin development (in the Programming Technicalities sub-forum). If you want advice on choosing or using a plugin, please ask in General Usage or an appropriate sub-forum.
ColinMc
Superstar
Family Historian: V7

COM Error

Post by ColinMc »

Not sure if this is the right forum to post this, but I was using the Ancestral Sources Data Entry Plugin when this error arose, however the dialog box is titled Family Historian!

I'm away from home in a place with patchy WiFi. I'm using AS by running the plugin from within FH.

Several times, I've had an error

AS.jpg
AS.jpg (32.57 KiB) Viewed 2845 times

Which appears after I start the Ancestral Sources Data Entry Plugin. When I click OK, AS opens (apparently) normally.

Does this error msg mean that AS is not actually fully operational, or can I safely use AS?

To complicate matters, I have AS settings (and FH) stored on OneDrive.
Colin McDonald - Researching McDonald, McGillivray, Tait, Rountree families
Jane
Site Admin

Re: COM Error

Post by Jane »

I am pretty sure it's just the plugin which launches AS trying to check for updates, so can be safely ignored.
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Jane is correct.
The problem is associated with the Plugin and thus associated with FH prior to invoking AS.
If you click the Help and Advice button in the Plugin and check the F.A.Q. it explains that COM message, but only if the Internet connection is working.
The same help page is at plugins:help:ancestral_sources_data_entry:the_faq|> Ancestral Sources Data Entry ~ Frequently Asked Questions.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
ColinMc
Superstar

Post by ColinMc »

Thanks, I should have found that, there are enough hits.
Colin McDonald - Researching McDonald, McGillivray, Tait, Rountree families