* Save and Restore

For users to report plugin bugs and request plugin enhancements; and for authors to test new/new versions of plugins, and to discuss plugin development (in the Programming Technicalities sub-forum). If you want advice on choosing or using a plugin, please ask in General Usage or an appropriate sub-forum.
E Wilcock
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Save and Restore

Post by E Wilcock »

I have reluctantly followed advice here and bought a new computer running Windows 10.
I do not have the save and restore Plug in and the Plug in site happens to be unavailable this morning.
But I read the Plug in Instructions yesterday and did not understand it. (Sorry Mike)
I am accustomed to copying the project folder and the Calico Pie settings folder from Program data from my desk top to a Windows 10 lap top.
Is there any reason for not doing this again?
I realise that the path to the few pictures in my personnal family tree may no longer be correct. But there are not many and I can re-link them.
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Re: Save and Restore

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

You shouldn't do that -- there are also settings in the registry that need to be transferred and the plugin will do that for you.

The plugin store seems to be available now: https://www.family-historian.co.uk/plug ... try?id=223 is the plugin you want.

If you confirm when you've managed to download the plugi, I (or more likely Mike :D ) will walk you through the process.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

The FH Plugin Store is OK this morning, but I noticed that you were having Internet problems with updating to GedSite V3.04 so maybe those issues are related?

Full step by step instructions are in how_to:family_historian_migration_guide|> Family Historian V5 & V6 Migration Guide and has been successfully used by many users moving from PC to PC.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
E Wilcock
Megastar

Post by E Wilcock »

Mike, You are correct - I may not be able to access sites from within a software program. McAfee may be blocking access. However, I decided not to alter anything as Windows 7 is now vulnerable.
I could not decide yesterday whether the problems were due to our internet connection or the 8 year old computer. We replace our computers every 8 years. It has got very slow with my largest Project, and MS Word both open and internet databases. Hence the decision to replace it - and pass it on to a grandchild eager to inherit it.
The problem with using the plug in is that I have 23 different fh projects. So it easier to move them in a folder just like all my other files wich are now copied to an external hard drive.
What is it that is so important in the registry that is not in a new installation and the copied Calico Pie program data folder?
E Wilcock
Megastar

Post by E Wilcock »

I have downloaded the Save and Restore plug in.
But am still puzzled as I use fh away from home on our little lap top -for data entry - e.g. in the Natinal Archives and not had a problem.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

You only run the Backup and Restore FH Settings Plugin once, regardless of how many Projects you have.
Remember that most settings are global, so they apply the same way to all your Projects.

Maybe on your laptop you don't display Diagrams or use other features whose settings are in the Windows Registry, but you will notice if they are missing from your Windows 10 PC and wish you had used the Plugin.

Anyway, if you follow the step by step guide it explains how to run the Plugin once on old PC and then on new PC.
Also it explains how to copy all your Projects in one go by copying the entire Family Historian Projects folder rather than a Full Backup of each Project which is very tedious with 23 Projects.

Please use the guide which has worked for dozens of users.

BTW: Windows 7 is no more vulnerable for the moment than it was last month.
The February Windows Updates have not happened yet, so the Windows 7 status is the same as Windows 8.1 and Windows 10, and if there are no major vulnerabilities discovered Windows 7 will remain 'safe' for a few months.
E Wilcock
Megastar

Post by E Wilcock »

Thank you so much Mike. I will do that now.
I assume this means I dont need to copy the other folder with all my queries etc?
I am a bit fed up with public discussion on the public email list telling me to upgrade my Windows. I do not intend to reply there. As I have explained on this forum, MS advise one cannot upgrade my particular computer because a Sony component inaccessible within this Viao computer is incompatible with Windows 10.
In any case it is due for replacement and I can afford the cost. I buy expensive computers and expect them to last 8 years.
To the person who hankered for an Apple - yes I did too. But I am being sensible.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

That is correct, you do NOT have to copy any of the C:\ProgramData\Calico Pie\Family Historian\... custom folders as they are all included by the Plugin.
E Wilcock
Megastar

Post by E Wilcock »

Mike. Thank you for your patience.
I have run the plug in and copied the resulting file to my external hard drive.
However the title page of the plug in, in red, warns one that one must back up one's registry before using the plug in.
I dont know how to back up the registry on the new Windows 10 computer. I dont really know what the registry is. I guess this is what has deterred me before.
And I do not understand the instructions about the registry data keys button.

I have no diagram designs saved except (presumably) for the small snapshot view you designed for me when I first came to fh which was superceded by your quick family facts. I have used some icons but am not sure where they are stored. But as I have copied and saved all image files, they will turn up on the new computer I guess.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Don't worry too much about backing up the Windows Registry.
On the latest Windows versions there are enough built-in recovery features.
The red warnings were more relevant when Plugin was first written years ago when Windows XP was still in vogue.
The Plugin does no more or less to the Windows Registry than FH does every time it closes.

Diagram Icons are included as part of C:\ProgramData\Calico Pie\Family Historian\... custom folders.
But if you have added custom icons elsewhere the Plugin should advise what to do.
It is not saved Diagram Types that are in the Windows Registry, but the standard core Diagram settings associated with the FH toolbar Diagrams that you use by default.

I presume you are referring to step 7) in the guide, which I thought was quite clear or maybe it is the button message.
After running the plugin, open its Options tab and tick the Allow Restore Registry Data option.
Then when you use the Restore tab there will be Registry Data Keys button.
Use that button last, and then use OK - Quit Plugin and close FH itself.
Then you can enter Y at the black & white command prompt.
E Wilcock
Megastar

Post by E Wilcock »

Thank you Mike. That is beautifully clear. Going to collect new computer now. So may not be doing this till tomorrow.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

BTW: It is advisable to run the Plugin Backup option from time to time.
Otherwise, you run the risk that if the PC or disk crashes of losing all your customisations, tools preferences settings, etc.
jbtapscott
Megastar

Post by jbtapscott »

It is a shame that plugins cannot be run as Scheduled Tasks (or similar) but for myself I have just set up a fortnightly reminder on my Calendar to run the backup plugin - I find this a better approach than relying on my (ageing!) memory!!
Brent Tapscott ~ researching the Tapscott and Wallace family history
Tapscott & Wallace family tree
E Wilcock
Megastar

Post by E Wilcock »

I am still in the dark.
Am I to download fh trial version and enter my key and then use the sample Project to download the plug in?
Must I avoid copying across the Project folder and data? How can it restore anything if the data folder is not there?
It is a rum world where I can buy and set up my own computer and the only headache is the genealogy software.
E Wilcock
Megastar

Post by E Wilcock »

I guess this is irrelevant as the final frustration is that my pin and name are not recognised, Even though I have found the original email for the upgrade to Version 6.
Last edited by E Wilcock on 05 Feb 2020 18:08, edited 1 time in total.
LornaCraig
Megastar

Post by LornaCraig »

You can indeed copy your entire Project folder to the new computer. As Mike said in one of his earlier messages in this thread, the standard migration guide "..... explains how to copy all your Projects in one go by copying the entire Family Historian Projects folder". As you have many projects this will be by far the easiest way for you to transfer your data.

The Backup and Restore plugin has nothing to do with transferring your data. It handles all the cutomisations you may have made in the FH software itself. These include custom queries, diagrams, text schemes, extra columns in the Records window, and many others. I know you have a lot of custom queries, for example. They don't form part of your project data, so you need the plugin to restore those.
Lorna
E Wilcock
Megastar

Post by E Wilcock »

The present impasse is that to do any restoring with the plug in one needs the same version of fh on both computers. One cannot update the trial version and since my pin is not recognised the trial verrsion is all I have just now. I just have to wait for a new key from Calico Pie.
Looking back at the emails when I was sent the last pin, (and the one before) I see this is not the first time I have had a problem. I keep all the emails safe but the pins dont work. It is getting late and I apologise for crossness. But all my other software has installed problem free.
E Wilcock
Megastar

Post by E Wilcock »

Just reporting back that Calico Pie have miraculously and very kindly stepped in with immediate rescue. So may be the moment has come to download the plug in.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

You are following the how_to:family_historian_migration_guide|> Family Historian V5 & V6 Migration Guide step by step?
It would help to know at what step in the guide you had a problem.
I did not go into tiny details because the steps themselves are all quite small.

Version 6 Migration Steps A) B) C) D)
You already have FH V6.2.7 on old PC.
You install FH on the new PC using your latest download Upgrade V5 to V6 installation file just like you have done before and enter your V6 and V5 licence name & pin.
You cannot use those licence details on the free trial, but must use your installation file that should have been saved with the name & pin.
Then update to the latest free download of FH V6.2.7

Standard Migration Steps 1) to 7)
They essentially check the Projects on old PC, and run the Plugin Backup, copy the Projects folder from old to new PC.
Then perform similar checks on new PC, and run the Plugin Restore.
E Wilcock
Megastar

Post by E Wilcock »

Mike, Forgive me. In the end I did things in my old simple way by copying the App data file from the old computerr to the new. I know that has worked as Jane's DNA query is there on screen.

In the project folder itself, I can see the settings file created by your plug in.

One reason it wont run to restore is that data files on this new computer are kept on D drive and I will post asking about this on the General uisage section.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

The Plugin will Restore with its data files anywhere on the PC.
You just have to tell it where they are (via the Options tab), just like any other application that needs to know where its files are, e.g. MS Word or Excel.

Yes, copying the C:\ProgramData\Calico Pie\Family Historian folder will work for many custom settings but NOT all.

If you are NOT going to use the Plugin to transfer the Windows Registry settings then beware of the following...

Some settings, such as your standard Diagram settings will have returned to Installation Defaults.
There is a workaround for that in how_to:move_settings#core_diagram_settings|> Core Diagram Settings.

See the other advice under how_to:move_settings#application_settings|> Application Settings for other settings such as:
Tools > Preferences
Tools > Work with Data > Places/Addresses > Columns
Custom Record Window Columns
It also explains how to move your Project data to a different disk drive.

To ensure Internet Data Matches (Focus Window 'hints') are synchronised, then use File > Import/Export > Export > User Credentials on the old PC and File > Import/Export > Import > User Credentials on the new PC to transfer the FH User Credentials.fhcrd file.
E Wilcock
Megastar

Post by E Wilcock »

The Error message if I try to restore says that the back up folder has no Family Historian back up data saved.. will go back to the old computer and re copy the Projects folder.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

No don't do that, on the Plugin Options tab just select the parent folder of the Family Historian folder.
( Which is how it was arranged on the old PC. )
E Wilcock
Megastar

Post by E Wilcock »

Mike - I am your worst guinea pig user as I am not sure exactly what I did or whether I did use the restore properly.
Is there any way I can tell? I had no saved custom diagrams.
However, the icons are showing on the new computer on the diagram tree in my main project.

I added that all my picture links were lost because previous pics on the C:/ drive are now on D:/

But for anyone else moving to a D: drive, I will mention that in FH one can edit the name of the drive where the media is to be found. Once one has done this, the links are all restored.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

It all depends on what you may have customised. I cannot tell. I can only list the features that may be affected.
However, if the Plugin is employed appropriately, it does not matter, as all the features are covered.

I am NOT talking about saved Custom Diagrams but the Standard Diagrams you get by clicking the four toolbar icons for Ancestor, Descendant, Ancestor & Descendant, or All Relatives Diagrams.
Also any custom Columns in the Records Window and the number of Columns for Place and Address fields as defined in Tools > Work with Data > Places/Addresses > Columns.
Try comparing those features on old PC with the new PC and see if any are different.

Yes, in FH V6 there are now ways to repair Media broken links fairly easily, but that was not the case earlier.