* Check for Possible Duplicate Media question

For users to report plugin bugs and request plugin enhancements; and for authors to test new/new versions of plugins, and to discuss plugin development (in the Programming Technicalities sub-forum). If you want advice on choosing or using a plugin, please ask in General Usage or an appropriate sub-forum.
ColinMc
Superstar
Family Historian: V7

Check for Possible Duplicate Media question

Post by ColinMc »

When I run this, get asked whether I want to use Cached records or not.

The "Details provided by Plugin" nor the Plugin page in the Store give any guidance about this.

I'm wondering if it is affected by media files that have been re-named or re-titled since the last run of the Plugin. In those circumstances is it better to not use the cached Records?
Colin McDonald - Researching McDonald, McGillivray, Tait, Rountree families
JP Ford
Diamond
Family Historian: V6.2

Re: Check for Possible Duplicate Media question

Post by JP Ford »

Bump. Same question. I've selected both options and I can see no apparent difference between the resulting lists, both appear to take the same amount of time to generate.
Researching SORRELL and SORELLE families and associated lines.
https://sorrellnotes.us
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: Check for Possible Duplicate Media question

Post by tatewise »

It is a saved cache of the database of checksums for every Media record analysed on the previous run of the Plugin.
It saves time reading and checksumming existing files, but for a small set of files, the saving may not be noticeable.
Some Projects have many thousands of Media files and then the difference is significant.
Plugins in the Plugin Store typically have to be written to cater for a wide range of scenarios.

The cache is indexed by the Media Record Id so if File Links have been changed or files replaced, then don't use the cached records. It is designed to cope with additional Media rather than modified Media.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry