* Multifact

For users to report plugin bugs and request plugin enhancements; and for authors to test new/new versions of plugins, and to discuss plugin development (in the Programming Technicalities sub-forum). If you want advice on choosing or using a plugin, please ask in General Usage or an appropriate sub-forum.
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: Multifact

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

Colin, let me have a look at it. I may attach a version with some debugging built in to spare your fingers after I've had a chance to do some testing on my own.
ColinMc
Superstar

Post by ColinMc »

Helen

Thanks.

But why don't you leave it until the New Year.

I can certainly wait till then, its the wrong time to be fussing about this when there's other things to worry about.
Colin McDonald - Researching McDonald, McGillivray, Tait, Rountree families
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

OK, Colin.

I'll just record here as a progress reminder for myself:

1.You have the pl library and Multifact.dat created properly.
2. I can run the plugin without problem in my PC using your GroupIndex.fhdata and custom fact sets.
3. When we resume testing I will ask you to set the 'breakpoint' at line 1817 (not 1816) as it should only go through that less than 10 times.
4. When we resume testing I shall also provide a debug version that does not have the 'progress bar' code.
ColinMc
Superstar

Post by ColinMc »

Helen

Thanks.

Just one additional bit of info. I realised late last night that I hadn't tried the Plug-in on my laptop. As all is set up via symbolic links, this is using the same data files. The plug-in fell over here as well suggesting that the problem is probably not anything to do with the system (other than perhaps the symbolic links). The Laptop runs Win 10 Home 64 as well.
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

That's useful -- points more and more towards either the symlinks or the contents of one of the fact set files.

I'll add getting you to uninstall your custom facts and reinstall them one set at a time to try to narrow down where the problem lies, when we resume.
ColinMc
Superstar

Post by ColinMc »

I take it by uninstalling I don't lose any data, or fail to link it back up when re-installed?
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

No, you won't lose anything, but taking a backup first (belt and braces) is something I'd always recommend.
ColinMc
Superstar

Post by ColinMc »

Thanks. I currently have 33 backups sitting nice and safe. I run it every time I exit
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Sorry guys, I have no idea why I chose 1816 for the breakpoint, and Helen's proposal of 1817 will only involve a handful of clicks on Go. :oops:

BTW: I think Helen meant backups of your Fact Sets files rather than your Projects.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
ColinMc
Superstar

Post by ColinMc »

No probs, I'll still wait till the New Year to redo the debug test as there really is no need to resolve this now.

I'll also bear in mind the back up scenario.

Thanks again for the work both of you (and others) it is much appreciated.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

My apology was premature, as I have reviewed what happens with the 1816 break point, and each time you click Go (NOT Step Into) it should move on to the next Fact Set file shown in filename variable below.
If you were having to click Go dozens of times, then something is very strange with your system.

BTW: I have copied your Fact Set files into my system and it runs just fine, so the only remaining difference is your Standard.fhf file, which you could post here for completeness, and I will check.
ColinMc
Superstar

Post by ColinMc »

Mike

I could see from the variables panel that it was stepping through every single text character. So I remember that it would go through R then e, then a, then s, etc for Research Planner thro every single word, so I saw Medal going through on the Military one etc. I genuinely did in the region of 3,000 clicks this morning alone.

Anyway here's the file you asked for.

Unfortunately I'm out now for the rest of the day. I will have my phone with me, but can't follow up any tech questions till I get back.
Standard.fhf
(33.65 KiB) Downloaded 141 times
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

Mike, the Progress bat code shouldn't be doing anything because the data set in question is too small for the progress bar to be triggered... In the New Year, I'm going to provide Colin with a version without the progress bar to see if it makes any difference.
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

Just a though, Colin -- you are running the latest version downloaded from the Plugin store, aren't you?
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Helen, I have found the problem with Colin's data.
In his Standard.fhf file only two fact definitions have a Hidden= line.
So the local function Parse() fails at line 1754 because gmatch cannot find a match.
There is no guarantee that fact definitions have all the possible definition tag lines.
See my Change Any Fact Tag Plugin which copes with Colin's data despite missing Hidden= lines.
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

That's odd -- Standard.fhf is delivered when FH is installed, with the 'Hidden' lines in place -- even the old V1 file which isn't used has them in place. And there isn't any way within FH to remove the 'Hidden' lines -- you can only toggle them off and on.

Likewise, if you create a custom fact set, the Hidden line is produced automatically.

The only way I can see that you wouldn't have the Hidden entry is if the file had been processed somehow outside FH.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Sorry Helen, I disagree, in my C:\Program Files (x86)\Family Historian\Fact Types the Standard.fhf file is just like Colin's with only two Hidden=N lines, on Birth and on Adoption. The v1, v2, v3 files also have few Hidden=N lines for me.
That is where the C:\ProgramData\Calico Pie\Family Historian\Fact Types\Standard version is derived on installation.
It might be possible in Tools > Fact Types to adjust the Hidden settings to force every fact to gain a Hidden=N line, but a Plugin should not rely on that.

Furthermore, the Plugin cannot rely on blank lines between the Fact definitions as in the Standard.fhf file, because those blank lines do not exits in the Extended Set.fhf file.
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

So how have my files, and the files of everyone who tested or used the plugin before Colin, acquired the Hidden lines? I haven't adjusted the Hidden settings for all those facts, nor do I suspect the others users have done so.

Do your 'active' fact set files have the lines present of missing?
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

My active .fhf files do all seem to have Hidden= statements on every fact.
But when FH is installed it does not usually overwrite the Standard.fhf file with the installation copy.
So any long-standing users like us could have gained those lines any time along the way, but don't ask how.

Colin only joined FHUG this year so probably installed FH V6.2.7 and got his Standard.fhf file from that installation with missing Hidden= lines and has done nothing to alter that file.

Multifact has 89 downloads, which is not large proportion of FH users.
Maybe not all have even run it, and if it failed maybe didn't report it.
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

The PC I'm typing on was completely wiped and rebuilt a couple of months ago and only had FH V6.2 and the update to 6.2.7 installed... so I only acquired those lines in the installation process.

One possibility is, I suppose, that Colin copied the standard.fhf file from C:\Program Files (x86)\Family Historian\Fact Types at some point rather than re-install it... so it missed out on something that happens during the installation process. (YOu can't in any case re-install it as that creates a custom Standard2 factset.

I shall have a look at the code -- I'm loath to try to adapt yours because I'm afraid I find it quite opaque to understand.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

On your rebuilt PC, presumably you reinstated all your original customisation files.
Might that have updated Standard.fhf, etc, to the pre-installation version?
I admit it is something of a mystery.

To solve your Plugin problem, maybe in the strFacts text needs each [FCT gsubbed with [END]\n[FCT
Also add [END] to the end of the strFacts text.
Then you could match [END] instead of Hidden= and process the lines much as now, but recognising Hidden= as well as all the Field... lines.

I have tried various Tools > Fact Set operations, but apart from editing every Standard Fact have not found a way to get Hidden= lines added throughout.
I noticed that whenever a Fact is edited, any Role definitions that were embedded within the main definitions, get repositioned near the end of the file.

What I have discovered is that Tools > Fact Types > Fact Sets button, select Standard, and Reset will copy the installation Standard.fhf file into ...\Fact Sets\Standard\ folder.
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

No -- I rebuilt from scratch and reinstated all my customisations manually; there aren't that many of them -- custom facts sets, queries and reports (pulled off a nightly backup of the whole PC). I tend to run with everything else at installation settings until something annoys me afresh and I fix it manually.

I need to look at all that piece of code if I can't make assumptions that the fact files have got the structure they appear... but I need to finish filling in a 40 page form first that has to be filled in by hand when I can't write legibly... Might take some time.
ColinMc
Superstar

Post by ColinMc »

That's me back from an afternoon Christmas Shopping with my wife & daughter. Glad to be back home!
you are running the latest version downloaded from the Plugin store, aren't you?
I am running V1.9 and it has been downloaded from the store. I believe I downloaded it some time ago, but never had the right opportunity to try it till now.
I have found the problem with Colin's data.
I'm so glad (in one way) that you've found an issue. I was beginning to wonder that I'd screwed something up or imagined it!. Obviously sad that its created extra work.

I bought my copy in September 2017 at a Genealogy show from one of the large suppliers. My disk is 6.2.2. I am now running 6.2.7.

However, I decided to buy a new SSD disk in early November. Rather than migrate the old disk to the new disk, I chose to install everything from scratch. So all programs (and Windows) were re-installed to a brand new disk.

As I said before, I keep the data files on OneDrive, which is located locally on my Data drive at D:\OneDrive. This is then Symbolic Linked to C: \ProgramData. I suspect, but cannot swear to it that before the link was established, I may well have overwritten the installed data files with the safe copy. Unfortunately with all the work involved in a re-build, I did not take notes, nor do I remember exactly what order I did things in.

Again I cannot be certain but I think I re-installed all the plug-ins. I certainly reinstalled Multifact when the problem with it first emerged.

I know that I did not "re-install" the Military Fact set, so that must have been picked up from the data files.

Not sure if any of this information helps.

Please do not feel any pressure whatsoever from me to get this resolved quickly. I am more than happy to wait till next year.

Colin
ColinMc
Superstar

Post by ColinMc »

Meant to clarify, one way or another, I used the "old" data files.

Also bear in mind I have an install on my laptop which also access the same data files. The laptop was new in Oct 2018, and has not been re-installed since then. It would have been installed as 6.2.2. then updated immediately.
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

Colin, I know there's no pressure but I'm very glad you've surfaced the problem -- thank you.