* Short dates and place name for Gedcom export to Family Tree DNA

For users to report plugin bugs and request plugin enhancements; and for authors to test new/new versions of plugins, and to discuss plugin development (in the Programming Technicalities sub-forum). If you want advice on choosing or using a plugin, please ask in General Usage or an appropriate sub-forum.
jimlad68
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: Short dates and place name for Gedcom export to Family Tree DNA

Post by jimlad68 »

Apologies if this has been mentioned previously in this long thread:

FTDNA trees

- when I did it some time ago FTDNA allow you upload your DNA (say from Ancestry) for free and also upload tree for free and view matches etc via Family Finder
- as mentioned before the ftdna trees are very basic, but do the job for "matching"

- I had trouble with names and dates, this is the email I sent to ftdna
I'm having trouble with my uploaded Gedcom. It is standard Gedcom 5.5.1 but:
1. any name with a bracket in, e.g. "(" or "[" or "{" does not get transferred, but the detail does. - If the bracket is with the forename only the surname is OK
- If the bracket is with the surname, the whole name is blank.
2. If a date is not exact (e.g. circa) it shows as ????

Their response 26 Feb:
... Until we come up with a more permanent solution, I recommend you use this tool.... https://firebric.se/fixgedcom....

I have not tried it yet as I had already manually edited my gedcom file with notepad++, from the spec I am not sure it will fix the date problem.

Hope that helps
Jim Orrell - researching: see - but probably out of date https://gw.geneanet.org/jimlad68
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

George, that suggests the two GEDCOM are different after all, and maybe the snippet you posted yesterday is not representative of the version that produces numerical suffixes.
Can you see if you can identify any differences between the two GEDCOM that might cause those numbers?

There is nothing obviously wrong with the Clean Living Persons settings.
But if you can find any GEDCOM differences it will help narrow down the problem.

( Jim, the Date problem was resolved long ago and is nothing to do with the current uploading to Ancestry. )
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
jimlad68
Megastar

Post by jimlad68 »

Mike, my comments relate to FTDNA trees, possibly fixed by your export, I know this topic has meandered a little.
Jim Orrell - researching: see - but probably out of date https://gw.geneanet.org/jimlad68
AdrianBruce
Megastar

Post by AdrianBruce »

GeorgeJ wrote: 31 Mar 2020 22:31 ...
2 PLAC St. Machar, Aberdeen
I've not ploughed through the rest of the thread to see if there are clues, but my immediate thought is - which Aberdeen? I've just tried to manually enter "St. Machar, Aberdeen" into my Ancestry tree and I get a host of suggestions, most of which are not in Scotland. Nor does it even seem to prioritise "St. Machar, Aberdeenshire, Scotland" - perhaps because that version reads "Aberdeenshire" not "Aberdeen".

And if you really want to be frustrated - and to appreciate the complexity of this stuff - I can find the right entry by entering just "St Machar" without the period after "St"!

Similarly, manually entering "Southend on sea, Essex" I get a lot of suggestions - for all the different Essexes around the world. Ancestry's Essex version is "Southend-on-sea, Essex, England" - with hyphens. So having failed to find a "Southend on sea", Ancestry's load, I suspect, goes on to use it as a prefix to any and every Essex that they have.

Quite what the numbers signify, I have no idea but I suspect the key is that Ancestry cannot automatically recognise your places.
Adrian
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

George, I have tried my test GEDCOM with Clean Living Persons set like yours followed by Export Gedcom File and that uploads to Ancestry without any numerical suffixes. So still no nearer to understanding the problem.

Adrian, if it was that, then it is surprising that nobody else seems to get those numerical suffixes anywhere.
Also, why is the only affected version the one that goes through Clean Living Persons while all the Place names will remain the same.
GeorgeJ
Platinum
Family Historian: V6.2

Post by GeorgeJ »

I'm trying to view 4 differeny Gedcoms and to be honest I'm struggling. They all look different and to my limited understanding of Gedcom file structure there are a lot of differences. All I can say is there are marked differences.

Mike, if I copy the first say 25 lines of 2 files would that help ?

Adrian, the numbers are assigned by Ancestry to identify all the addresses in my Gedcom. So your suggestion could be partially right in that my address fields are unknown to Ancestry so they give them a number and remove any duplicates.

George
GeorgeJ
Platinum

Post by GeorgeJ »

Here you go. Help yourselves. My head is spinning.

First Gedcom - Export Gedcom File plugin only

0 HEAD
1 SOUR FAMILY_HISTORIAN
2 VERS 6.2.7
2 NAME Family Historian
2 CORP Calico Pie Limited
1 FILE C:\Genealogy\Family Historian\Ancestry Gedcom uploads\Jamieson small anc - std gedcom.ged
1 GEDC
2 VERS 5.5
2 FORM LINEAGE-LINKED
2 _VAR DSR
1 CHAR UTF-8
1 DEST GED55
1 _UID {F2160AE8-A61F-42d0-8B6C-61F074B7D3E4}
0 @I6@ INDI
1 NAME George /JAMIESON/
1 SEX M
1 BIRT
2 DATE 28 MAY 1903
2 PLAC 64 Dee Street, St. Machar, Aberdeen
2 SOUR @S5@
1 OCCU Hospital Porter
1 EDUC Cuffley School 2 Mar 1914 from Southwold School. Withdrawn from Cuffley 12 Dec 1915 to Ponders End.
1 DEAT
2 DATE 14 APR 1974

Second Gedcom - Trim Date & Text and Export Gedcom FIle

0 HEAD
1 SOUR FAMILY_HISTORIAN
2 VERS 6.2.7
2 NAME Family Historian
1 FILE C:\Genealogy\Family Historian\Ancestry Gedcom uploads\Jamieson small anc - std gedcom - trim and export - Copy.ged
1 GEDC
2 VERS 5.5
2 FORM LINEAGE-LINKED
1 CHAR UNICODE
1 DEST GED55
1 _LIST Key Individuals
1 _LIST Work in Progress
1 _LIST Bookmarks
1 _USED I6802,F2386,N0,S650,R1,U0,B0,O1081,P2812
0 @I6@ INDI
1 NAME George /JAMIESON/
1 SEX M
1 BIRT
2 DATE 1903
2 SOUR @S5@
1 OCCU Hospital Porter

Third Gedcom - Clean Living Persons, Trim date & text and Export Gedcom File

0 HEAD
1 SOUR FAMILY_HISTORIAN
2 VERS 6.2.7
2 NAME Family Historian
1 FILE C:\Genealogy\Family Historian\Ancestry Gedcom uploads\Jamieson small anc - std gedcom - Clp trim and export - Copy.ged
1 GEDC
2 VERS 5.5
2 FORM LINEAGE-LINKED
1 CHAR UNICODE
1 DEST GED55
1 _LIST Key Individuals
1 _LIST Work in Progress
1 _LIST Bookmarks
1 _USED I6802,F2386,N0,S650,R1,U0,B0,O1081,P2812
0 @I6@ INDI
1 NAME George /JAMIESON/
1 SEX M
1 BIRT
2 DATE 1903
2 SOUR @S5@
1 OCCU Hospital Porter
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

George, which of those GEDCOM samples have Place name numbers when uploaded to Ancestry?
There are a number of things that strike me as questionable in those samples.

Any GEDCOM produced by the Export Gedcom File Plugin will start exactly as below, and yours do not:
0 HEAD
1 SOUR FAMILY HISTORIAN
2 VERS 6.2.7
2 NAME Export Gedcom File Plugin Version 3.9
1 GEDC
2 VERS 5.5
2 FORM LINEAGE-LINKED
1 CHAR UTF-8

There would be no 1 FILE line, or 1 DEST GED55 line, or 1 _UID line, or 1 _LIST lines.

Two of yours have 1 CHAR UNICODE at line 10 and Ancestry does not support UNICODE UTF-16 format.

So sorry, but those are not samples that are representative of the Ancestry upload problem.

Typically the GEDCOM would reside in the Project's \Public\Export\ folder with a filename ending ANC UTF8.ged
GeorgeJ
Platinum

Post by GeorgeJ »

Hi MIke,

You have identified the problem. I have not been selecting the ANC option.

I used a separate Export directory to keep the test Gedcoms I've been using here separate from my regular Gedcoms.

So very happy now. Sorry for the confusion and thanks very much MIke et al.

George
AdrianBruce
Megastar

Post by AdrianBruce »

tatewise wrote: 01 Apr 2020 14:44...
Adrian, if it was that, then it is surprising that nobody else seems to get those numerical suffixes anywhere.
Also, why is the only affected version the one that goes through Clean Living Persons while all the Place names will remain the same.
Numerical suffixes to place-names in Ancestry trees are "well known". Well, I've seen them before, and they've been mentioned elsewhere...

I can't explain why Clean Living Persons causes an issue - I would have thought it was the routine to shorten the place-name that was critical - "64 Dee Street, St. Machar, Aberdeen" is presumably unique enough not to need a suffix, whereas "St. Machar, Aberdeen" may have been used elsewhere, either in other people's loads or elsewhere in the same GEDCOM, and so needs the suffix to render it distinct from the other references to "St. Machar, Aberdeen".

But this is all a bit of a struggle trying to come up with a theory - it might help if I understood Ancestry's place-name processing better!
Adrian
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Numerical suffixes to place-names in Ancestry trees may be "well known" to you Adrian, but I searched in Ancestry Help and a general Google Search, but came up with nothing.

However, it all seems to have been a result of "finger trouble" on the part of George, and is now resolved
AdrianBruce
Megastar

Post by AdrianBruce »

Indeed Mike - it could have been in any of the lists or boards that I look at, though I'm sure it's popped up more than once. Presumably the same issue that George had and for similar reasons - something on the GEDCOM that caused Ancestry's load to misinterpret. So the ambiguous "Aberdeen" appears to have been a red-herring.
Adrian
trevorrix
Famous

Post by trevorrix »

I have been requesting for years that FTDNA accept baptism and burial dates and places in their family trees but it is falling on deaf ears.

There is a big downside to periodically uploading a GEDCOM to replace an existing FTDNA family tree. The links are lost that the FTDNA algorithim uses to assign matches to the paternal and maternal 'buckets' match lists.
Trevor Rix