* Setting Fact notes to null

For users to report plugin bugs and request plugin enhancements; and for authors to test new/new versions of plugins, and to discuss plugin development (in the Programming Technicalities sub-forum). If you want advice on choosing or using a plugin, please ask in General Usage or an appropriate sub-forum.
shoshk
Superstar
Family Historian: V7

Setting Fact notes to null

Post by shoshk »

I have a number of notes on facts which I am deleting.

I find the notes by a query which has the criteria 'Exclude if fact.note2 is null' (yes, yes I know that's not the proper syntax; I'm being lazy and using pseudo-code)

Deleting the text of the note does not set the note to null (I guess the note field still exists, but it's blank)

It should be an easy matter to write a plugin that searches for blank notes and deletes them.

Before writing it, however, I thought I'd check and see if something already exists, or if there's another solution.

Thanks,
Shosh
Shosh Kalson
Jane
Site Admin

Re: Setting Fact notes to null

Post by Jane »

If you add the note as a column on your query. You can simply select all the cells in the column and press the delete key.
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
shoshk
Superstar

Post by shoshk »

My query has both blank and non-blank notes.

Is there a way to filter for blank notes?
Shosh Kalson
shoshk
Superstar

Post by shoshk »

Well, I discovered that if I close my project and then re-open it, FH has removed the blank notes.

So, problem solved.
Shosh Kalson