* Export Gedcom File Plugin - Exporting Part Frames

For users to report plugin bugs and request plugin enhancements; and for authors to test new/new versions of plugins, and to discuss plugin development (in the Programming Technicalities sub-forum). If you want advice on choosing or using a plugin, please ask in General Usage or an appropriate sub-forum.
amphoria
Family Historian: V7

Export Gedcom File Plugin - Exporting Part Frames

Post by amphoria »

I am trying to export a tree as a Gedcom 5.5.1 file which contains photos with part frames around faces. I know that this is possible as about a week ago I got it to work. The plugin created new photos containing just the faces. I also managed to get the faces and the original photos using the ALL~LMO option.

My problem I have is that it has stopped working and all I get is the full photos exported no matter whether I select PART~LMO or ALL~LMO. I have tested this by creating a test Gedcom containing 4 people in which 3 of the photos have face frames selected. This was created by using the Family Historian Gedcom export facility. I then selected the GEDCOM Draft 5.5.1 and PART~LMO options. No other options were changed from the defaults. I then confirmed that the framed photos were not being created in the Export folder.

Before the test, to ensure that the plugin installation was not carrying some options over, I deleted the contents of the Export folder and deleted, re-downloaded and re-installed the plugin.

What am I doing wrong? I have managed to work out how to include a screenshot.

Annotation 2019-10-21 153807.png
Annotation 2019-10-21 153807.png (33.06 KiB) Viewed 4173 times
tatewise
Megastar

Re: Export Gedcom File Plugin - Exporting Part Frames

Post by tatewise »

Welcome to the FHUG.
I am the Plugin author, and my tests suggest it is working OK.
Are you sure you are looking in the M:\Family Historian Projects\MyFamilyTree\Export folder ?
Usually by default the Export folder is created within the Public folder within the Project.
So that setting of yours is not in default mode.
I presume your test GEDCOM was called MyFamilyTree as in your screenshot ?

Unfortunately, deleting the Export folder and the Plugin does not remove any options you may have chosen.
They are retained in the Plugin Data folder within the Project. However, I doubt if that is the problem.

Could you post a screenshot of the Export folder as shown by Windows File Explorer.
Note jpg files starting with digit 0 are full frame and those starting with 1 or greater are part frames.
The subsequent O number is the Media record id in FH.
How did you confirm that part frames were not being created ?

Instead of creating a test GEDCOM try using the Family Historian Sample Project so we can more easily compare results as our Media files will be the same.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
amphoria

Post by amphoria »

Hi Mike, thanks for the quick response.

Also thanks for the information regarding the encoding of the image file names. I was just looking at the contents in an image viewer. All of the files start 0O0 which tells me that not only are they full images but that the media id is being dropped.

So as you suggested, I repeated the export using the Family Historian Sample Project, and the part frames were exported correctly along with the full frame images. Therefore there is nothing wrong with the plugin installation or the way that I am using it.

This implies that it is related to the workflow prior to running the plugin. The principle difference is that I am creating a GEDCOM file using FH GEDCOM Export and then running the plugin on that. In other words the GEDCOM file is not part of an FH project but does contain absolute links to the image files in the source project. The reason for the prior export is to strip out the source records and their associated media files, but leaving the photos attached to the individual records, so as to reduce the size of the project from 5.5 GB to 50 MB.

I will experiment further, but would appreciate your response on whether the plugin expects to be run on an FH project.

Dave
amphoria

Post by amphoria »

To answer my own question, if I create a new project and import into it the GEDCOM file which has had the sources removed, then the plugin works correctly and the part frame and full frames images are all created with the correct file names including media ids.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Thank you for that feedback.
The Plugin should work in the same way for a stand-alone GEDCOM file as for a Project, but my quick check confirms your findings that it only produces full frame images with prefix 0O0 which is incorrect. So I am investigating...

It seems that the Export > GEDCOM File command in Default mode uses FILE tags instead of _FILE tags in Media records that previously only applied in Family Tree Maker mode. That change upsets how the Export Gedcom File Plugin handles Media. The problem will be fixed in the next version of the Plugin.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry