* Problem running Check & Repair media links Plugin

For users to report plugin bugs and request plugin enhancements; and for authors to test new/new versions of plugins, and to discuss plugin development (in the Programming Technicalities sub-forum). If you want advice on choosing or using a plugin, please ask in General Usage or an appropriate sub-forum.
Richard_Hyland
Gold
Family Historian: V7

Problem running Check & Repair media links Plugin

Post by Richard_Hyland »

I was attempting to run the export plugin to create a new gedcom for upload to Ancestry, using the default settings selecting all data. This started with numerous memo dialogues saying Skipping missing multimedia file, so I stopped the export. (I did try the Brief Data option and this did work).

I then tried to run the Check and Repair Media plugin. It reported that there were 506 problems & I selected try to fix them now. I then selected the folder where all media are stored and then immediately had the following error message, Plugin Error [string “C:\ProgramData\Calico Pie\Family Historian\...”]:190: attempt to concatenate local ‘file’ (a nil value). No changes have been made to data records.

I have tried this a number of times but still get the same message.

All my plugins are the latest.

Does anyone have any advice, please?

Thank you
Richard
Plugin error msg.JPG
tatewise
Megastar

Re: Problem running Check & Repair media links Plugin

Post by tatewise »

Sorry you are having those problems Richard.

Let me deal with the exporting to Ancestry scenario first.
The Export Gedcom File Plugin in GEDCOM Export Mode for (ANC) Ancestry Family Tree with default settings should have Multimedia Conversion set to (WIPE~ALL) Remove all the Multimedia entirely.
That is necessary because Ancestry does not bulk upload any Media with the GEDCOM file as stated in the plugins:help:export_gedcom_file:anc_ancestry_family_tree|> Export Gedcom File ~ (ANC) Ancestry Family Tree advice.
I suspect you changed the Multimedia Conversion setting from the default, but on switching to (-) Brief Data mode that would have reinstated the (WIPE~ALL) Remove all the Multimedia entirely setting.
So if you stick with that Multimedia Conversion setting in either (+) Full Data or (-) Brief Data mode, then the GEDCOM export and upload for Ancestry should work OK.

Now we can deal with the Media issues.
With the release of FH V6 the Media management tools improved dramatically.
That rendered the Check and Repair Media Links Plugin virtually redundant and its development stopped in 2014.

Can you throw any light on why there might be issues with your Media files?
Are all your Media images displayed correctly in the Focus Window, Media Window, and elsewhere?
Or are you instead seeing plain boxes with a large cross?
If so when did that start happening?

The best way to review your Media issues is to use the Tools > External File Links command.
Does that indicate any 'broken file links' with an X instead of a Media icon against the entries?
Are all the Media listed within the Project Data Folder under the Media folder?
Or are some Media listed under the C: drive, or some other drive letter?

Most issues are easily fixed with the Tools > External File Links buttons, assuming your Media files still exist somewhere and have not been deleted. In that latter case the Check and Repair Media Links Plugin would not be able to help anyway.

Depending on your replies to the above questions (please answer them all) then the issues should easily be fixed.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Richard_Hyland
Gold

Post by Richard_Hyland »

Thank you, Mike

I am working though Tools > External File Links and this seems to be resolving the problems.

Richard
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

It might help if you could summarise the problems and how you are resolving them.
There may be shortcuts you are unaware of, or alternative solutions for the longterm.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry