* Add GRO Source plugin

For users to report plugin bugs and request plugin enhancements; and for authors to test new/new versions of plugins, and to discuss plugin development (in the Programming Technicalities sub-forum). If you want advice on choosing or using a plugin, please ask in General Usage or an appropriate sub-forum.
David Potter
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: Add GRO Source plugin

Post by David Potter »

Hi Mike

Sorry for the delay, I had no laptop until now. Sorry yes request 1 should also apply to Marriage and Death indexes. I think think the Name for Marriage should apply to both parties. Husband and Wife. The plug already checks for multiple Marriages and asks the user to choose which one.

I think the Name(Names if a Marriage) should be the Primary name only. Alternatives then handled by the user.

Dates I was thinking along the lines of what is handled already. Examples, Q3 1893, March 2005, etc.

Death indexes can also support the Birth fact but perhaps let the user decide if the Citation should be copied there also.

Many Thanks

David
David Potter
Megastar

Post by David Potter »

Hi Mike to further clarify the Marriage citation. Both Individual Primary Names, and yes the Family Marriage Event.

See Attached Image.

Many thanks

David
Attachments
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (127.29 KiB) Viewed 10169 times
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I think the attached Add GRO Source plugin version 1.3.1 dated 25 Feb 2020 should work OK.
[ EDIT: Attachment deleted as superseded by later attachments. ]
It has several tweaks:
The initial dialogue requesting GRO BMD Index Sources has been revised to allow one generic GRO Index Source for all types, or 3 separate sources for GRO Birth, Marriage & Death.
The whole of the Add GRO Entry dialogue has been revamped with revised prompts and tooltip popups.
The lower seven options are now 'sticky' (they were always meant to be but a small bug prevented that).

AddGROEntry.png
AddGROEntry.png (26.11 KiB) Viewed 10150 times
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
David Potter
Megastar

Post by David Potter »

Hi Mike. Sounds fantastic. I'll put it through its paces this evening and report back

Thank you very much

David Potter
David Potter
Megastar

Post by David Potter »

Hi Mike

Absolutely spot on. Thank you very much; that has saved a lot of manual copy paste and additional editing. :D

Kind regards

David Potter
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

David, could you run some testing with as many varied option combinations as possible please.

You could use the FH Sample Project that has three suitable GRO Index Source records.
Either use Edit > Undo Plugin Updates or reset the FH Sample Project afterwards.

Are the tooltip popups helpful and could they be improved?

Take a look at the Add GRO Event to an Individual (no source) Plugin.
It has some interesting features that might roll up into this Add GRO Source plugin.
e.g. Overwrites imprecise Dates with Quarter Date, uses Event Notes instead of Citations.
David Potter
Megastar

Post by David Potter »

Hi Mike Sorry only just saw this post. I'll test further as you suggest.

Kind regards David
David Potter
Megastar

Post by David Potter »

Hi Mike

I have finished extensive testing and can't identify any issues. Undo and Redo all work fine. The Tips work and look fine. The only comment from me would be to change the Field Description for GRO Index Reference to be GRO Index Reference/Names to better indicate this is where the Individuals Name can be placed to make this a little more obvious. I guess text formatting this combined field would be up to the user.

Re the other GRO Plug-In: I looked into this and personally I would prefer not to use the Notes option, therefore preferring the Citation (No Source) over Notes. And so leaving the ability to attach Media to the Citation if required. Re the option to overwrite inconsistent Dates. I found this quite intriguing and interesting at first but most of my Dates are based on some rational that I would want preserved and not overwritten, however; appreciating there is some logic as to what it will overwrite or leave as is. That's me I guess.

Thank again for your help Mike
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Changing GRO Index field description is no problem.

The Notes only option would be just that, an option.
It could be chosen in the initial dialogue, where the three Source records are selected.

Also, overwriting imprecise Dates would be an option similar to the Set Citation Entry Date option.
There might be choices such as None, Year Only, Inexact Only, etc, and chosen on each use.
None would not overwrite existing Event Date.
Year Only would only overwrite Event Date if it involved just a year or two years.
Inexact Only would only overwrite Event Date if it was not an exact simple date with day & month & year.
David Potter
Megastar

Post by David Potter »

Hi Mike

I see - I'll leave it to you to decide wether to integrate the two Plug-In's. I can see some merit in what you describe. Also makes sense to have only one Plug-In covering all options.

BR

David
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

The attached Add GRO Source plugin version 1.3.2 date 04 Mar 2020 has options to integrate the Add GRO Event plugin.
[ EDIT: Attachment deleted as superseded by later attachments. ]

Put GRO Index Date in Event Date when: sets criteria for overwriting the Event Date.
The default of No Event Date behaves as before and only writes the GRO Index Date if no Event Date.
Year Only Event Date causes the Event Date to be overwritten if no day or month is mentioned.
Inexact Event Date causes the Event Date to be overwritten only if no day is mentioned.

Select Citation Reference Field: offers Where within Source & Text From Source as before but also Event Note Only.
In that latter case no Citation is added at all, and the GRO Index Reference is added to the Event local Note.

Initially, when selecting the BMD Sources the warning messages when 0 or 2 Sources are chosen have been revised to allow a Retry, and for 0 Sources to Ignore and use the new Event Note Only option or add the Source Record Id later.

AddGROSource.png
AddGROSource.png (31.42 KiB) Viewed 9880 times
David Potter
Megastar

Post by David Potter »

Thank you Mike. I'll test it out

BR
David
gsward
Famous

Post by gsward »

This plugin is one of my most frequently used (I have it on my Tools menu). As it is not in the Plugin Store is there a schedule for updating it to V7?

Thanks,

Graham
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

It is a little complicated.
The original plugin is in the Plugin Store as Add a General Record Office Source and optionally Event although its Plugin/Filename is Add GRO Source and its Author is Jane Taubman, so I cannot update it.

However, the changes needed to run in FH V7 are probably minimal so I have attached an updated version.
Please thoroughly test it out before use on your master Project.
[ EDIT: Attachment deleted as superseded by a later attachment. ]
gsward
Famous

Post by gsward »

Thanks Mike.

Looking back I see now, effectively this is a fork hence why you have been updating and attaching to this thread. Perhaps it could just be added to the store as a 'new' plugin?

Graham
victor
Superstar

Post by victor »

Sorry Mike it didn't work with me.
I got a message saying
Please select just one Generic GRO index source or 3 sources in the order of Birth, marriage and death
Haven't a clue what to do
Victor
David Potter
Megastar

Post by David Potter »

I think it is in the text for the Plug-In that you have to create 3 x Generic Sources and tag them when using the Plug-In.
Attachments
Screenshot 2020-12-22 214923.jpg
Screenshot 2020-12-22 214923.jpg (69.54 KiB) Viewed 7712 times
victor
Superstar

Post by victor »

That didn't happen with me.
In V6 it opened an option to chose which B M or D
Victor
David Potter
Megastar

Post by David Potter »

What do you get with Version 7?
gsward
Famous

Post by gsward »

When I opened the updated plugin it picked up the three sources I had been using in version 6.

Graham
David Potter
Megastar

Post by David Potter »

So it's working for you Graham?
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

This is designed for Method 2 'lumper' Source Citations for BMD GRO Index entries.
The plugin assumes you already have either one generic GRO Index source record or three separate GRO Birth Index, GRO Marriage Index & GRO Death Index source records as in the Family Historian Sample Project.
When it asks Please select just one Generic GRO index source or 3 sources in the order of Birth, Marriage and Death click OK and choose your source record(s).
Thereafter, they will be remembered and you just fill in the requested details for each new Citation.
David Potter
Megastar

Post by David Potter »

I'll hand over to you Mike.
gsward
Famous

Post by gsward »

David, yes it does.

Mike's last description is exactly how I use it. I have three "collector" sources one each for B, M & D. I have used it a long time like this as BMD data from the indexes is so readily available.

Graham
David Potter
Megastar

Post by David Potter »

Good to hear it is working now.

David