* Find Duplicate Marriages

For users to report plugin bugs and request plugin enhancements; and for authors to test new/new versions of plugins, and to discuss plugin development (in the Programming Technicalities sub-forum). If you want advice on choosing or using a plugin, please ask in General Usage or an appropriate sub-forum.
RogerF
Famous
Family Historian: V6.2

Find Duplicate Marriages

Post by RogerF »

Apropos my One-Place Study project, it occurs to me that a Find Duplicate Marriages plugin, similar to Mike's invaluable Find Duplicate Individuals, would be a very useful tool. Basically, all that it would have to do is to highlight two or more marriages of the form "John Smith = Mary ?" happening in roughly the same timeframe, though any other matches (eg John and Mary's DoB) would be a bonus. Any thoughts?
Roger Firth, using FH to research the FIRTHs of Lancashire and Yorkshire, and the residents of the market town where I live.
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: Find Duplicate Marriages

Post by tatewise »

Roger and I have already been chatting about this by Email, and there he also mentioned their DoB, and perhaps any known children.

This requires much the same matching logic as Find Duplicate Individuals but with an emphasis on Marriage Events.
i.e.
Similar Names with similar Dates & Places for not just a Marriage but also Birth/Baptism/Christening, plus similar Children and perhaps Parents, etc.

So I have taken the Find Duplicate Individuals Plugin and modified the Set Preferences tab for Event Matching, where four classes of Event can now be boosted with a multiplier to increase their points score.

To focus on Marriages, increase the Boost Marriage Events multiplier to say 50.
You can also disregard Deaths by decreasing Boost Death/Burial/Cremate to 0.
Thus couples with matching Marriages and other matching characteristics should rise to the top of the Results Set.

Similarly, you could focus just on matching Birth Events by boosting its multiplier.

Also try setting User Interface tab Results Minimum Score to say 50 or 100 to eliminate unlikely candidates.

Tweaking other settings may also be advantageous.

Try the attached Find Duplicate Individuals Plugin Version 3.7.1 Date 17 Nov 2017.

Others are welcome to join the experiment.

[ EDIT Plugin Attachment deleted as in Plugin Store ]
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
RogerF
Famous

Post by RogerF »

That seems to do the job. Thanks, Mike
Roger Firth, using FH to research the FIRTHs of Lancashire and Yorkshire, and the residents of the market town where I live.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

It is interesting that the Plugin is finding matches by focussing on Marriages that it did not find before.

Once false duplicates have been added to the Omit Non-Duplicates tab, then those with matching Names and Marriage, Birth, Children, etc, should be near the top of the list with the old V3.7 settings.

Please discuss.
RogerF
Famous

Post by RogerF »

I feel that the peremptory "please discuss" is directed at me, so reluctantly some form of reply is in order. The short answer is: I've previously been focused on Birth matches, so suggesting a specific Marriage matches plugin didn't seem -- to me -- to be a controversial notion. When Mike's new version of FDI did indeed locate some duplicate marriages, I was happy.

The slightly longer answer is that FDI -- excellent as it is, and undoubtedly supplying a feature notably lacking from FH itself -- is too complex for its own good. It has 70 configuration options; that's about ten times as many as any normal user can be expected to grasp. Thus, my original request: a fairly simple match of "John Smith = Mary" marriages. Mike's response -- further elaboration of FDI -- wasn't what I'd hoped for, but since I can't write complex plugins myself, I was happy enough to take what was offered.

What I'm NOT happy about is being asked to "discuss" my request and response. Maybe my initial post was too vague; maybe I'm a touchy old sod; there you go. Thanks again, Mike, for the plugin.
jimlad68
Megastar

Post by jimlad68 »

I must admit to liking lots of options, especially if an item (e.g. Plugin) is used regularly or for variable situations as this saves using lots of different plugins.

However, I can see that this can cause confusion, and a greater knowledge is required to choose them, hence basic defaults or 'sets' are quite helpful too, as in Mike's Export Gedcom File.
Jim Orrell - researching: see - but probably out of date https://gw.geneanet.org/jimlad68
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

My 'Please discuss' was meant to be somewhat tongue-in-cheek. :)

The plugins:help:find_duplicate_individuals:find_duplicate_individuals|> Find Duplicate Individuals Plugin Help & Advice does attempt to explain not only the matching processes but how the Set Preferences tabs adapt those processes.

However, the main point was nothing to do with those settings, but that by moving definite non-duplicates into the Omit Non-Duplicates tab, more likely candidates will rise to the top of the Result Set and should include those with matching Marriages because the Plugin has always assessed a variety of BMD Events as explained in plugins:help:find_duplicate_individuals:event_assessment|> Find Duplicate Individuals ~ Event Assessment. All that the recent change has done is allow certain Events of the primary Individuals to have their score boosted.