* COM exception error

For users to report plugin bugs and request plugin enhancements; and for authors to test new/new versions of plugins, and to discuss plugin development (in the Programming Technicalities sub-forum). If you want advice on choosing or using a plugin, please ask in General Usage or an appropriate sub-forum.
BillH
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: COM exception error

Post by BillH »

Mike,

As it turns out, I was wondering if it could be my connection somehow. I was connected to my router via an Ethernet cable. I disconnected this and then connected by WiFi instead. All errors while running the plugins went away. I have now been running all day on WiFi and have tried the plugins numerous times and have rebooted the PC 4 or 5 times and no errors. So I think the problem is somewhere in my Ethernet connection. Not sure why it effects the plugins but not streaming video and TV or surfing the web.

Bill
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Bill, that is odd, as a cable connection should usually be more reliable and faster than WiFi.
Have you another cable you could try?
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
BillH
Megastar

Post by BillH »

Mike,

Yes it is very odd especially since it worked just fine for years and now I'm getting these errors in FH plugins and I am also having problem in Malwarebytes as well. All problems go away when I switch from Ethernet to WiFi.

I have tried two different cables and get the errors with both. I have tried 3 different drivers for my Ethernet, one of which has always worked, and I get the errors with all of them.

Looks like maybe the problem is in either the PC Ethernet adapter or in the Ethernet connections on my router. I've tried both Ethernet connections on my router and get the errors with both.

I haven't done any Windows updates in over a month and the problem just started in the last week or two.

Bill
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I'm no expert, but it is pointing to an Ethernet adapter electronics problem.
The fault is almost permanent so get a local PC engineer to take a look.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
BillH
Megastar

Post by BillH »

Mike,

Yes... once we get past this Covid situation, I'll probably take it to a shop. Luckily it seems to work fine on WiFi. Unfortunately the connection speed I get with WiFi is only about half of what I get with Ethernet, but still pretty fast.

Bill