* Timeline export to Excel

For users to report plugin bugs and request plugin enhancements; and for authors to test new/new versions of plugins, and to discuss plugin development (in the Programming Technicalities sub-forum). If you want advice on choosing or using a plugin, please ask in General Usage or an appropriate sub-forum.
bbottomley
Platinum
Family Historian: V7

Timeline export to Excel

Post by bbottomley »

Ok. So my timeline plugin works just fine, and I get a timeline chart with relevant facts displayed along a date line. Right clicking in the chart area give me, amongst others the option to export to MS Excel. Selecting that, opens Excel (2007) and a run dialog box asking me if I want to run Timeline.hta.
Selecting run creates another, duplicate, timeline and a "New Web Query" message box saying Navigation to wepage was canceled [sic]
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (41.86 KiB) Viewed 8725 times
I tried the import button out of curiosity which gave an "Import data" dialog box suggesting it was going to import to A1 of my speadsheet but when hitting import, resulted in "timeline failed..." in the cell.

Any ideas where I'm going wrong?

Cheers
Brian
tatewise
Megastar

Re: Timeline export to Excel

Post by tatewise »

Brian, without knowing exactly the structure of your timeline chart it is difficult to answer or experiment.

Please use the Upload attachment tab below the message posting box to attach your Plugin script.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
bbottomley
Platinum

Post by bbottomley »

Hi Mike

It won' let me upload it as it reports it as a "possible attack vector" even as a txt file so I've copied and pasted here.

[Deleted by Mike Tate as not relevant]

Thanks for your help

Brian
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Sorry Brian, I am somewhat confused.
I was expecting you to attach an FH Plugin script, not an HTML script.
So you need to explain a bit more about how your Plugin works.
bbottomley
Platinum

Post by bbottomley »

Hi Mike

It's Jane's Timeline Chart v1.7 plugin, not one that I've written myself. If only I was even anywhere near knowing where to start! :roll: :roll:

Brian
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

OK Brian, it was your reference to it being "my timeline plugin" that confused me.
I will investigate the problem tomorrow.
Barnowl
Gold
Family Historian: V6

Post by Barnowl »

Hi Brian

I have tried your html
It loads fine for me in Chrome
In IE - it loads after saying yes to enabling ActiveX Controls but then just sits there saying "Loading..." for ever

Perhaps it is your anti-virus that is kicking in. Try killing your network connection, turning off the anti-virus and running it again.
(tho I didn't have to turn mine off...)

Which browser are you using?
Ian Johnson - researching Bain, Batley, Elsden, Ewen and Johnson families and the village of Easton Royal
(i>
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Export to Microsoft Excel is a special rigt-click feature of Internet Explorer not found in other browsers, and it does appear to have limitations and restrictions on its use.

If you use the Plugin option Quick View Current Record, then for technical reasons the Plugin creates both .hta and .xml files. If they are not kept together in the same folder then that gives the perpetual Loading... message due to the missing .xml file. The IE Export to Microsoft Excel option apparently does not support .hta files, which explains the Navigation to the webpage error message.

A workaround is to use the Plugin option Select Records and Create Pages for All and just select the one Individual record of interest. This will create both .html and .xml files, which when opened in IE will allow the Export to Microsoft Excel option.

However, I am not sure what you expected to achieve, but you won't get a spreadsheet containing the timeline events. This is probably because the timeline details are created dynamically by an online Java Script API, rather than HTML tables that map into a spreadsheet.
MB@RE
Diamond

Post by MB@RE »

I hope your problem is now fixed, in case it hasn't I can only share my recent experience :-

I am a BT Broadband (infinity) customer.
I found I couldn't access a number of web sites, to name a few : Tesco.com, ASDA.Com, Telegraph.co.uk, Sky News, Lidl.co.uk, Liverpool Echo, there could be a lot more I don't know about.
I checked the BT (My BT) website to carry out a check and they know there is a fault with the server software.
In contrast, TalkTalk customers using the same lines have uninterupted service.
BT have made several promises to resolve this issue, but so far failed.

If you are a BT user, the best advice I can gice you is to enter into a web chat with one of their customer service agents. The more people who flag this up may force BT to sit up and get something done.

All the best.
Mike Burditt researching BURDITTs of Leic/Northants and WEBSTERs of Lancs
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Please could well-meaning members stop advising Brian about Browser and Broadband issues, because his problem is purely the IE Export to Microsoft Excel option and subsequent Excel error message associated with a local PC file.
bbottomley
Platinum

Post by bbottomley »

Hi Mike - and everyone else, thanks for your replies.

Yes Mike, my hope was to create a spreadsheet with time line events - the drawing board beckons again I think.

Thanks anyway for your help.

Brian
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Jane's plugin is designed to produce a 'pretty' scrollable timeline, that can be embedded in websites.

To get a Spreadshet style, timeline of Facts, you need to focus on a Fact Query (or Plugin) that filters down to the set of Facts you want (i.e. Birth, Marriage, Death, etc) for the Individuals you want (i.e. close family relations of a chosen record) sorted by the Fact Dates.

The subsequent Result Set can be exported to an Excel spreadsheet using the Menu options.

Suggested Fact Query filter Rows would be:

Add if =FactLabel(%FACT%) matches Birth
Add if =FactLabel(%FACT%) matches Marriage
Add if =FactLabel(%FACT%) matches Death
Exclude unless =IsTrue( IsSameItem( Individual(["Individual"]), GetRecord() ) or IsRelativeOf( ["Individual"], GetRecord() ) ) is true
Exclude unless =IsTrue( Diff( RelationCode( ["Individual"], GetRecord(), GENERATION, 1 ), 0 ) < 2 ) is true

(This excludes distant relations where last digit is number of generations.)

The Columns would include:

Record =GetRecord()
Relation =Relationship(["Individual"],GetRecord(),TEXT,1)
Date %FACT.DATE% Ascending
Fact =FactLabel(%FACT%)
bbottomley
Platinum

Post by bbottomley »

Thanks Mike

That gives me something to chew on over the weekend! :lol:

Cheers
Brian