* FTM v11 to FH v4

Importing from another genealogy program? This is the place to ask. Questions about Exporting should go in the Exporting sub-forum of the General Usage forum.
IsabelH
Silver
Family Historian: V7

FTM v11 to FH v4

Post by IsabelH »

Moving from FTMv11 to FHv4 is proving more difficult than I expected. I converted my file to gedcom 5.5, and most of the information has transferred OK, with a few quirks such as occupations listed as places.  I am disappointed though to find that my carefully recorded source info. has not been imported. It just notes 'Birth certificate,' for example, without the call no. or repository. Is this typical, or have I gone wrong somewhere?

I understood the first part of the exclusions report which concerned nicknames and alternative names. In each case the Record number correctly identified the individual.  

However, when I came to the source details that have not been imported,  the details listed do not seem to tally with the individuals the Record Numbers apply to (in the example below the Record no. is for someone not born until 1888).  Can anyone explain this, please? I'd like to know what is going on, as it worries me that there may be a lot of mistakes I haven't spotted yet.  It looks as if many hours of work will be required, as I can't see any alternative to going through my whole file checking all the data bit by bit.

Record Type=Source. Gedcom Id=S38104. Record Number=70.
 l.34820 - EXCLUDED: invalid line           : '1  REPO '
 l.34821 - EXCLUDED BRANCH LINE:        : '2  CALN 1861;088; 006'
 l.34822 - EXCLUDED BRANCH LINE:        : '3  MEDI Census'

ID:5082
tatewise
Megastar

FTM v11 to FH v4

Post by tatewise »

It seems the problems you are experiencing are not uncommon.
Mainly this is because FTM does not export genuine GEDCOM.

If you use the FHUG Search box to the left and enter from FTM and click Search button, you will get a list of other threads, many of which give some guidance on how your type of problems were resolved by others.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Jane
Site Admin

FTM v11 to FH v4

Post by Jane »

As Mike says these are problems with the way FTM exports data.

The reason the record numbers are not those for individuals is that the items are attached to Source records
Record Type=Source. Gedcom Id=S38104. Record Number=70.
As you will find from the search most problems can be fixed using a text editor to search and replace the invalid tags in the GEDCOM file exported from FTM
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
IsabelH
Silver

FTM v11 to FH v4

Post by IsabelH »

Thank you. I'll work through the various suggestions and see how I get on.