* Imported Notes from TMG became FH7 Facts

Importing from another genealogy program? This is the place to ask. Questions about Exporting should go in the Exporting sub-forum of the General Usage forum.
DerekNB
Gold
Family Historian: V7

Imported Notes from TMG became FH7 Facts

Post by DerekNB »

When I imported my TMG data to FH7 the import seems to have imported all TMG notes as undated FH7 Facts with Fact type Note. Event/Attribute = Note; Type = Event; Fact Set = TMG (Project)
I have been converting them to Notes by copy the Fact Note and paste it as a new Note, then deleting the Fact Note.
But there seem to be hundreds of them and wonder if there is a more automated way of correcting them?
Thanks
Derek
tatewise
Megastar

Re: Imported Notes from TMG became FH7 Facts

Post by tatewise »

The problem is that they have been entered in TMG using a custom Fact Type Tag of Note.
So FH honours those custom Fact Type notes.
If they had been entered in TMG as memo notes (assuming that is possible) then they would import as FH Notes.

What kind of FH Note are you creating? Is it a record level Note as shown on the Main tab?

If so then the Change Any Fact Tag plugin may change all those TMG (project) Note facts to <Defined Tags> Note items, but after checking it does not quite do what I expected.
Therefore, the only way to automate that process is to write a simple custom plugin to move the fact Note text to the local record Note text.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
DerekNB
Gold

Post by DerekNB »

Thanks, being unfamiliar with writing FH7 plugins it will probably take longer to write than to change them manually as I encounter them.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

If you can confirm exactly what you are manually changing I may find time to write a plugin for you.
i.e. exactly what in the custom Note fact is being moved and where are you moving it to.
What happens if there are several such custom Note facts recorded for one Individual?
DerekNB
Gold

Post by DerekNB »

Thanks Mike,
It is complicated in that TMG had a generic Note Tag Type, which could be dated or undated.
In many cases I used it to record facts such as a list of the ships my grandfather sailed on date destination etc.
Other times I used it undated to record a note for posterity regarding my reasons why out of a list of potential candidates I chose the one I did. These I would like to move back to being a note the former I am happy that they remain as a Fact.
TMG had the option to allow undated notes to be sorted to the top of the Tag types or to the end of the list.
At the moment I am manually changing them to note when I encounter them.
I am thinking that maybe just geting a list of them may be best then I can work on them all rather than doing so when I spot one.
Would a Query do this?
Thanks again
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Since you don't handle all those Note facts the same way, a plugin would not be feasible.

Yes, you could use the standard Query > Facts and Events > All Facts then click the Fact Type column heading to sort the facts alphabetically so all the Note facts will be grouped together if you scroll down.

Alternatively, use the FHUG Knowledge Base > Downloads > Fact Queries > All Facts Filter by Label to download and run a custom Query that lets you set a Fact Label filter to just list Note facts.
DerekNB
Gold

Post by DerekNB »

Hi Mike, thanks, I have now seen a list of all imported notes well over 1000.
As this was just a tidying up excercise I think I will just leave things as they are and just tidy up as I encounter facts that should be notes.
Thanks again