* Importing Descriptions (addresses) from FTM to FH

Importing from another genealogy program? This is the place to ask. Questions about Exporting should go in the Exporting sub-forum of the General Usage forum.
MFriend
Famous
Family Historian: V7

Importing Descriptions (addresses) from FTM to FH

Post by MFriend »

Hi Folks:
I met my Aunt for the first time since about 2003 today and I'm trying to help her with her tree.
When I try to import her tree from FTM 2019 into FH 7 so I can work on it, FH doesn't recognize the place description and so categorizes the description as "uncategorized data." (It's the same place FH calls the address section where you can put the cemetary name, etc).

I can add the uncategorized data to a list, but I don't know how I would go about recovering it to the proper sections.

Here is some example info from the gedcom:

3 NOTE @N635@
3 OBJE @M366@
3 _LINK https://www.ancestry.com/discoveryui-co ... 28465:7163
1 RESI District 14
2 DATE 1870
2 PLAC Allegany, Maryland, United States
2 NOTE @N636@
2 SOUR @S129@

2 SOUR @S27@
3 PAGE Legacy NFS Source: Thomas Halderman Everley - Government record: Census record: birth: August 1875; West Virginia, United States
3 DATA
4 TEXT Government office, 1900 US Census
1 RESI District 01
2 DATE 1930
2 PLAC Sussex, Delaware, United States
2 SOUR @S27@
3 PAGE Chancery orders
2 SOUR @S27@

Example of the 1000+ error codes:

Record Type=Individual. Gedcom Id=I31. Record Number=31.
l.2964 - INFO ONLY: Detected & fixed field format error (data loaded using Uncategorised Data Field): "1 WILL Will"
l.3018 - INFO ONLY: Detected & fixed field format error (data loaded using Uncategorised Data Field): "1 BURI Upper Fairview Cemetery"
l.3327 - INFO ONLY: Detected & fixed field format error (data loaded using Uncategorised Data Field): "1 RESI Preston County"
l.3381 - INFO ONLY: Detected & fixed field format error (data loaded using Uncategorised Data Field): "1 RESI Magisterial District 1"
l.3384 - INFO ONLY: Detected & fixed field format error (data loaded using Uncategorised Data Field): "1 RESI Magisterial District 1"

Record Type=Individual. Gedcom Id=I36. Record Number=36.
l.4196 - INFO ONLY: Detected & fixed field format error (data loaded using Uncategorised Data Field): "1 CHR Borden Mills"
l.4223 - INFO ONLY: Detected & fixed field format error (data loaded using Uncategorised Data Field): "1 RESI District 2"

Record Type=Individual. Gedcom Id=I39. Record Number=39.
l.4490 - INFO ONLY: Detected & fixed field format error (data loaded using Uncategorised Data Field): "1 RESI Ed 104 Lyon District (Precincts 1-3)"

Record Type=Individual. Gedcom Id=I41. Record Number=41.
l.4605 - INFO ONLY: Detected & fixed field format error (data loaded using Uncategorised Data Field): "1 BURI Accident Community Cemetery"

Thank you for any ideas....
Matthew
tatewise
Megastar

Re: Importing Descriptions (addresses) from FTM to FH

Post by tatewise »

Hi Matthew.
A few more clues, like the name of the uncategorized data field would give me confidence I'm providing the best solution.

I guess you've used Tools > Preferences > File Load/Save and unticked Move invalid data into note fields where possible.
That should move the 'description' on each event & Residence fact to the _UNCAT data field.

Download & install the Move _UNCAT to Address plugin Version 0.2 Date 03 Jul 2022 which should move that data.

It is mentioned in FHUG KB Compendium of Conversion Plugins but the link to Fact Notes and Sources from FTM (13356) needed the plugin updated for FH V7.
Last edited by tatewise on 02 Feb 2024 12:43, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Attachment replaced by link
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
MFriend
Famous

Re: Importing Descriptions (addresses) from FTM to FH

Post by MFriend »

Thank you so much for the plugin. The plugin worked perfectly and moved the 1500 or so addresses to the correct place address field.

Thanks again, you all are so helpful in this forum :)

Matthew