* how to safely delete Facts?

Importing from another genealogy program? This is the place to ask. Questions about Exporting should go in the Exporting sub-forum of the General Usage forum.
BarbaraL
Gold
Family Historian: V7

how to safely delete Facts?

Post by BarbaraL »

I am preparing to migrate from TMG to FH. In so doing, I have tested the direct import of lots of TMG databases with some crazy custom Facts that I will want to delete. However, I also have some native FH databases with custom Facts that I want to keep. The crazy and keeper Facts appear in no Fact Set or in the Fact Sets "Custom" or "TMG Import (project)".

How should I approach deleting the crazy Facts that I don't need without risking deleting the keeper Facts? In other words, is there a way to determine which Facts are being used in one or more FH databases?

(I have read the thread on "Some questions on deleting", but it seems the question is slightly different.)

Thanks!

Barbara
tatewise
Megastar

Re: how to safely delete Facts?

Post by tatewise »

For each FH Project follow these steps:
  1. Use File > Backup/Restore > Full Backup to create a backup just in case anything goes wrong.
  2. To discover what facts are used in this Project use Query > Facts and Events > All Facts, click the Fact Type column heading to list in alphabetical order and make a note of each crazy fact to be deleted.
  3. Use File > Split Tree Helper... but leave everything in 'do not delete mode' except Facts lower right.
  4. Change the option to Delete all facts listed below and click Edit List... button.
  5. From the Available Facts list select each crazy fact to delete and click > to add to Selected Facts.
  6. Click OK and then click Perform Tasks to delete all those crazy facts from this Project.
Repeat that process for each Project.

You now have a list of those deleted crazy facts. After all Projects have had them deleted, use Tools > Fact Types... to select and Delete each unwanted definition.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
BarbaraL
Gold

Re: how to safely delete Facts?

Post by BarbaraL »

I am familiar with most of the pieces, so I think I am well-equipped. Thank you!

Barbara