* Replicating named groups from RM7

Importing from another genealogy program? This is the place to ask. Questions about Exporting should go in the Exporting sub-forum of the General Usage forum.
Sallion
Gold
Family Historian: V7

Replicating named groups from RM7

Post by Sallion »

I'm looking at migrating from RM7 to FH7 as I can't get on with RM8. I use named groups a lot in RM7 to identify where I have missing data and I would like to replicate these in FH7 For example if I am looking for inidividuals who are missing a census record for 1851 I would look for the following records:
Census1851 exists is False AND
Birth date is after 1 Jan 1752 AND
Birth date is before 30 Mar 1851 AND
Death date is after 30 Mar 1851 AND
I would them rerun the above but change the last line to
Death date is blank
To clarify I have separate facts for each census.
Any ideas how I can replicate this in FH7?
Thanks
tatewise
Megastar

Re: Replicating named groups from RM7

Post by tatewise »

Yes, that can be achieved with a Query.
See the FHUG Knowledge Base An Overview of Queries.
There are Query Downloads in the FHUG Knowledge Base that already do something very similar:
Alive at 1841 Census
Alive at 1901 Census
Census – The Missing Years
You can then save the candidate Individuals in a Named List for future analysis.

There is also the Lookup Missing Census Facts plugin from the Plugin Store that not only identifies candidate Individuals but also provides searches against various online databases.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Sallion
Gold

Post by Sallion »

Thanks for these Mike. These might help me but I have set my own facts for Census so I'm not sure the plugin will help. I should be able to tweak the queries to use my facts and exclude people who already have this fact. I'm used to writing SQL but FH7 query language is quite different. I just need to get my head around this way of thinking.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

It would be extremely beneficial if you were to change to using the standard FH GEDCOM Census Event.
See FHUG Knowledge Base Recording from a Census Record for the reasons.
As you have found, using a non-standard fact has drawbacks.

What are your reasons for having your own set of facts for Census?
Maybe in FH, those reasons are not valid.
If you explain what you believe are the benefits, we can explain how those can be achieved in FH with standard Census.
In my experience, other users have found such custom facts unnecessary with the features of FH.

It is very easy in FH to convert your set of facts to the standard Census Event without upsetting anything else.
The Change Any Fact Tag plugin does the job.
Sallion
Gold

Post by Sallion »

I set up my own census facts for ease of use and it was much easier to query a single event in RM then have to use census dates. It is also easier to see on an individuals records which census is which. I have been doing this for many years and don't really want to change now even though in FH it might not be necessary. I have over 5000 individuals in my tree and nearly 17,000 events so changing now would be no simple task. I usually work on the principle if it isn't broke don't fix it.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I would argue it is broke because you cannot use several FH features unless you use standard GEDCOM events such as Census.
It is easy in FH to select Census facts for particular year by using the INDI.CENS[year=1234] form of index.
It is trivial to convert any existing form of census fact to the standard Census by using the Change Any Fact Tag plugin, which preserves all the other fact details, citations, etc.
Perhaps create a copy of your Project and experiment before making a final decision.
Using a nonstandard fact has consequences when migrating to any product.
Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane »

If you really do not want to use the standard census event you can of course use your custom ones, you just need to select them when you build your custom queries.
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Yes, but Reports, Plugins, existing Downloads, and other features designed to use standard Census won't work and most cannot be adapted, not just in FH but also other products.
Sallion
Gold

Post by Sallion »

I have no problems with changing queries to use my facts. I've already done this for the Alive at 1841 census and it was quite simple. I haven't started looking a reports yet so I don't know if this will be an issue but it wasn't in RM and I can't see FH will be that different. I still might change to use the Census fact when I know FH better, but I'm not ready to go down that path yet.