* Ancestry.com Import creating Unnamed Spouse

Importing from another genealogy program? This is the place to ask. Questions about Exporting should go in the Exporting sub-forum of the General Usage forum.
DavidS
Family Historian: V7

Ancestry.com Import creating Unnamed Spouse

Post by DavidS »

Hello. I'm a new user of Family Historian and I just wanted to share this issue/resolution with the group. I downloaded my family tree from Ancestry into Rootsmagic and then imported the RM tree to FH. That all worked great but later when viewing a descendent chart I notice quite a few people showing duplicate marriages with an unnamed person, and the 'Spouse' area of each persons data pane showed an extra tab with <no spouse>. After some investigation I realized the cause was multiple marriage events in Ancestry.com or a marriage event where the spouses were not linked. The FHUG knowledge base offers a solution under the heading "How to delete no spouse tab" (thank-you Tatewise) but I had so many instances that I decided to fix the errors in Ancestry and then re-import my data. Attached are a couple of screenshots to illustrate this problem and solution. There is so much to learn but I am slowly working my the FH manual and this knowledge base is a great resource.

Here is a snippet of my descendent report
Decendent Report - unnamed person.JPG
Decendent Report - unnamed person.JPG (64.07 KiB) Viewed 736 times
Looking at Ancestry, this marriage event is only linked to one spouse
John Thorley Brocklehurst Marriage Before.JPG
John Thorley Brocklehurst Marriage Before.JPG (17.02 KiB) Viewed 736 times
Open the event and click the radio button to link spouses
John Thorley Brocklehurst Marriage Edit.JPG
John Thorley Brocklehurst Marriage Edit.JPG (43.6 KiB) Viewed 736 times
Mark1834
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: Ancestry.com Import creating Unnamed Spouse

Post by Mark1834 »

Welcome to FHUG, David. It’s not often that a maiden posting is a solution rather than a problem! 😉

That echoes my experience of Ancestry, where it can be very difficult to display all data and all links for a particular record. I've found a number of errors in my on-line tree in the past that had crept in either through me doing something wrong or misbehaving software. FH hides very little once you know where to look, so the overview is much easier.
Mark Draper