* Merging from FMP - excluding media URLS

Importing from another genealogy program? This is the place to ask. Questions about Exporting should go in the Exporting sub-forum of the General Usage forum.
docdunning
Gold
Family Historian: V7

Merging from FMP - excluding media URLS

Post by docdunning »

I've been experimenting with a ged file exported from FindMyPast (FMP). I use the File Compare/Merge process, which works OK, but it can't handle the media URLs that FMP exports.

Example segment from the FMP file:

Code: Select all

0 @I6@ INDI
1 NAME Alice /Alty/
2 GIVN Alice
2 SURN Alty
2 _PRIM Y
2 SOUR @S39@
3 PAGE Archive reference: RG09; Piece number: 3116; Folio: 19; Page: 32; Schedule: 173; HouseHoldID: 3538392; Record set: 1861 England, Wales & Scotland Census; Subcategory: Census; Category: Census, Land & Substitutes; Collections from: United Ki
4 CONC ngdom, England;
3 REF http://search.findmypast.com/record?id=GBC/1861/0016387300&source=GBC/1861/0016387299
2 SOUR @S31@
3 PAGE Archive reference: RG10; Piece number: 4194; Folio: 26; Page: 22; Schedule: 93; HouseHoldID: 2811677; Record set: 1871 England, Wales & Scotland Census; Subcategory: Census; Category: Census, Land & Substitutes; Collections from: United Kin
4 CONC gdom, England;
3 REF http://search.findmypast.com/record?id=GBC/1871/0013503751&source=GBC/1871/0013503750
On merging, these are converted to media fields, but the URLs become file references, and these are (understandably) broken. Attached screenshot is what I see in the File Compare / Merge dialog:
fmp-media4.jpg
fmp-media4.jpg (178.62 KiB) Viewed 869 times
I've tried unchecking Media when executing the Merge, but that doesn't work - I guess because the offending entries are fields and not media records as such.

Is there an easy / automated way to exclude these fields from the Merge, or shall I have to remove them from the FMP export before merging the file into FH?

EDIT:

I've just realised that I can go to the Media tab on the Compare/Merge dialog, and exclude the media items there. That could be what I'm looking for!
tatewise
Megastar

Re: Merging from FMP - excluding media URLS

Post by tatewise »

Please see the FHUG Knowledge Base advice for Merge/Compare File.

The recommended approach is to import the FMP GEDCOM to create a temporary New Project.
Then it is much easier to 'tidy' the data without compromising your master Project data.

For example, you can easily delete all the unwanted Media records and UDF such as _PRIM.

Eventually, when performing the File Merge it is important to check every tab, as you have discovered.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
docdunning
Gold

Re: Merging from FMP - excluding media URLS

Post by docdunning »

Understood - thanks, Mike.