* Private notes showing

Importing from another genealogy program? This is the place to ask. Questions about Exporting should go in the Exporting sub-forum of the General Usage forum.
Jessie 888
Famous
Family Historian: V7

Private notes showing

Post by Jessie 888 »

I'm trying to export a gedcom to Ancestry as a public tree.

I'm not very good with technology but, usually, I shrink the diagram, highlight it with mouse, add to Named List called Tree Export, then move all the people into the gedcom, exclude all the private notes, etc and it works fine. I don't know what I'm doing wrong but even if I exclude everything, my private notes are still showing on Ancestry. I've got loads of notes attached to ancestors that must not be seen because they include private details about DNA matches!

I've deleted it three times now to try something else but I'm stumped?
Would spend every waking hour researching my ancestry if my family and friends allowed it! ;)
tatewise
Megastar

Re: Private notes showing

Post by tatewise »

I presume you are using the File > Import/Export > Export > GEDCOM File... command.

Then to Select... individuals you are using that Named List called Tree Export.

Under Facts & Notes, you are ticking Exclude [[private]] notes.

Are the private Notes you want to exclude enclosed with [[ double square brackets ]] ?
If not then that exclude option has no effect.

To exclude all local Notes on Facts you will need to use File > Split Tree Helper... in a copy of your Project, or alternatively the Clean Unwanted Fields plugin.

Also, you should consider using the Clean Living Persons plugin, especially if making the tree public.

Also, to export to Ancestry you may want to try the Export Gedcom File plugin with the Ancestry destination.
There is also the export route via RootsMagic that synchronized the FH tree with the Ancestry tree to preserve hints.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Jessie 888
Famous

Post by Jessie 888 »

Thank you, Mike. Yes, I was doing it in the way you outlined. I've also tried it with selecting the whole project but with the same results. The square brackets are there as well.
Private note problem.jpg
Private note problem.jpg (64.61 KiB) Viewed 1517 times

I'll go and read up on how to use the Split Tree Helper ...
Would spend every waking hour researching my ancestry if my family and friends allowed it! ;)
Mark1834
Megastar

Post by Mark1834 »

It’s worth adding that if all you want on Ancestry is a basic tree for public visibility, by far the simplest route is to use the method outlined in Synchronising your tree with Ancestry to exploit hints. It’s a one-click basic GEDCOM export that removes all private material and converts to Ancestry format in one step, without having to worry about complex options in multiple different routines.

If you’re not bothered about Ancestry hints, just upload updated copies of the GEDCOM file directly to Ancestry from time to time. You don’t need to go via RM at all in that scenario.
Mark Draper
Jessie 888
Famous

Post by Jessie 888 »

Many thanks, Mark.

I'm not bothered about Ancestry hints. I've been trying to upload a small gedcom for a DNA match. He's a 3rd cousin so I've just tried the Split Tree Helper and deleted all the notes which worked perfectly. When I open that gedcom to check, it's perfect, with him as the root and no private notes ... BUT when I try to export that gedcom into Ancestry it just appears as an empty tree! Goodness knows what I've done wrong, but I'll keep trying!
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I hope you used Split Tree Helper in a copy of your Project.

Please go into a bit more detail about how you export a GEDCOM from a Project and then upload it to Ancestry.
Exactly what commands do you use? Where do you save the GEDCOM? How do you choose that GEDCOM in Ancestry?
There must be something in those steps that is unsuitable.

If all Notes are enclosed in [[ square brackets ]] and you checked they got excluded in the GEDCOM file, then it should not be possible for those Notes to transfer to Ancestry unless you are choosing the wrong GEDCOM file.

Further suggestions...
How are you making living people's details private?
See FHGU KB Exporting a Family Tree with/without Media under Export to Website Without Sensitive Data.
Try using the Export Gedcom File plugin with GEDCOM Destination: (ANC) Ancestry Family Tree which also has a [[ private ]] Text Option to exclude everything.
See Export Gedcom File (ANC) Ancestry Family Tree help page.
Jessie 888
Famous

Post by Jessie 888 »

Thank you, Mike. Yes, I did make a copy first because you'd kindly underlined that.

I've saved the gedcom on my computer under My Documents > Family Historian Projects > The Carter Line > Public. It looks like this:
Gedcom problem.jpg
Gedcom problem.jpg (21.02 KiB) Viewed 1463 times
I test it first (the top one ending in backup 2) and it opens in Family Historian with all the right people in there but without any of the notes. Perfect. Then I close it again. I go to the Ancestry Tree page and click on Create and Manage Trees > Upload a GEDCOM file. That brings up the option to Choose File so I find it on my computer (in the same place as above), double-click on it which 'successfully' uploads it but when I then open the Ancestry tree there's nobody in it!
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

You exported the GEDCOM in UTF-8 format but when you open it in FH V6.2.7 that will probably convert it to UTF-16 format which is the default in that version and Ancestry probably does not understand that.

One idea is to change the FH Tools > Preferences > File Load/Save option to save in UTF-8 format.
Then FH won't upset the GEDCOM format.

Alternatively, having satisfied yourself that the export is working correctly, repeat the command and upload that GEDCOM directly to Ancestry without using FH.
Jessie 888
Famous

Post by Jessie 888 »

Thank you, Mike.

I changed the option to save in UTF-8 format and tried it again but still no luck.

I think I'll have to give up today and look afresh tomorrow.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

A potential problem is that the Export > GEDCOM File... command defaults to FH GEDCOM format that includes all the FH custom features that other products may not understand and may be upsetting Ancestry.

Try using the Export Gedcom File plugin with GEDCOM Destination: (ANC) Ancestry Family Tree which also has a [[ private ]] Text Option to exclude everything. That produces a GEDCOM formatted specifically for Ancestry.
Jessie 888
Famous

Post by Jessie 888 »

Thank you, Mike, I'll try that tomorrow.