* Importing Repositories

Importing from another genealogy program? This is the place to ask. Questions about Exporting should go in the Exporting sub-forum of the General Usage forum.
Woodg
Famous
Family Historian: V7

Importing Repositories

Post by Woodg »

Hi All,

I'm moving from Relatively Yours 3 (RY3) which is no longer supported. I've purchased FH7 and am learning how to use it.

RY3 comes supplied with a list of over 700 common-ish Repositories. This means when looking for a Repository it is highly likely the Repository record already exists, and I just have to reference/link it.

I can export the Repository records from RY3 as a CSV file and I can manipulate the CSV if required. Is there any way I can import them into FH7?

(Yes, there are issues with keeping such a large list up to date, but it does save some data entry. And any Repositories used in RY3 would be included in the GEDCOM export but as yet I'm not using many).
tatewise
Megastar

Re: Importing Repositories

Post by tatewise »

I think you are saying that if a Repository is not actually linked to a Source in RY3 then it is not included in the GEDCOM export.
Have you double-checked all the GEDCOM export options including PAF to see if they are included?

I have an old copy of RY3 installed, but although mentioned in the Help, cannot find the GEDCOM export command.
Can you explain where that command exists so I can explore its options.

Since you have only needed to use a few Repositories in RY3, I wonder if it is worth the effort of migrating the others.
Creating a new Repository when needed is quite a trivial process.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Woodg
Famous

Post by Woodg »

Hi Mike,

Yes, only repositories actually used appear in the GEDCOM export.

To export in RY3, from the menu select Group, then Open. This opens the Group dialog. Select a Group (should be an All/Combined group, but any Group should do) and click on OK. Then go back to the Group menu and Export should now be available.

If I can't import the full repositories then I'll just use the ones that do import and, as you say, just manually enter any that I need.

Glenn
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I double-checked and it seems correct that only linked Repositories are included in the exported GEDCOM.

Have you seen the FHUG Knowledge Base Importing to Family Historian and the advice for Import from Personal Ancestral File (PAF) / Relatively Yours?
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Woodg
Famous

Post by Woodg »

Hi Mike,

Yes, I have read the KnowledgeBase articles on importing.

RY3 allows export in PAF and a GEDCOM designed to be imported to another installation of RY3 - and they two GEDCOMs are different! I'm currently testing the two different GEDCOMs to see if one imports better than the other.

You may see me back here asking more questions!

Glenn