* FH-RM-Ancestry Sync to exploit hints (update)

Importing from another genealogy program? This is the place to ask. Questions about Exporting should go in the Exporting sub-forum of the General Usage forum.
cschroeder
Gold
Family Historian: V6.2

Re: FH-RM-Ancestry Sync to exploit hints (update)

Post by cschroeder »

here is a typical example:

Differences in Individual Records:

Anne Marie Cathrine Louise BRANDHORST (FH540/RM501) - Primary Name
Anne Marie Johanne BRANDHORST (FH536/RM497) - Primary Name
Anne Marie Louise Catharine BRANDHORST (FH532/RM493) - Primary Name
Anne Marie Louise Charlotte BRANDHORST (FH539/RM500) - Primary Name
Anne Marie Louise BRANDHORST (FH541/RM502) - Primary Name
Heinrich Hermann BRANDHORST (FH538/RM499) - Chr
Heinrich Wilhelm BRANDHORST (FH96/RM92) - Marriage
Hermann Heinrich BRANDHORST (FH537/RM498) - Marriage

I have changed the place of christened (Heinrich Hermann BRANDHORST (FH538/RM499) - Chr) and the changes are missing in rootsmagic... i don't mean the synchronization with ancestry.

as an addition: there was no information about the place of the baptism beforehand, the date stayed the same...
Mark1834
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Post by Mark1834 »

I think I know what is causing the problem. Remember that the RM Merge only adds data, and does not overwrite old values as it does not know which is the "correct" value. If you change an Individual's name in FH, it gets added to RM as an Alternative Name. RM does not allow you to delete the Primary Name, so you have to promote the new name to Primary, then delete the old name, which is now an Alternative Name.

The screen grabs show the name editing fields in both FH and RM. The plugin does a separate comparison of Primary and Alternative names, so the two Primary Names should match, and the same names given as Alternative Names (the order does not matter).

I suggest you concentrate on checking the names first, and see if that resolves the other issue.
FH.PNG
FH.PNG (40.38 KiB) Viewed 2033 times
RM.png
RM.png (23.97 KiB) Viewed 2033 times
Mark Draper
David Potter
Megastar

Post by David Potter »

Hi Mark
I have migrated to a new laptop running windows 11.
I have re-downloaded your Plug-in version 0.3.2

For some reason I'm getting this error message. It suggests a driver is missing? Can you help please?
Attachments
Screenshot 2022-03-09 145051.png
Screenshot 2022-03-09 145051.png (50.79 KiB) Viewed 1918 times
Mark1834
Megastar

Post by Mark1834 »

Presumably this happens after you select the RM target database for a Compare or Update? My first thought just reading the error message is that it might be related to your earlier installation problem. As well as missing the Visual C++ package, did it also miss out installing the database driver?

It might be worth rerunning the FH installation to see if that restores any missing components (take a backup first just in case it blows away any settings). I’ll experiment on the laptop later this evening to see if I can replicate the problem.
Mark Draper
David Potter
Megastar

Post by David Potter »

Hi Mark
Sorry I should have provided more details. Yes to your first question. And yes it could be related to that install issue.
I'll try your suggestion to run the install once again and report back.

Thank you.
David Potter
Megastar

Post by David Potter »

Hi Mark
I tried 5 other Plug-In's to see if these worked okay and they did which is odd. Anyway I installed FH once more and the Compare and Update functions of your Plug-In now work okay. Strange.

Thanks once again for your excellent support.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

David, the 5 other plugins probably do not need the fhSQL library module that this plugin needs to access the RM database.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
David Potter
Megastar

Post by David Potter »

Okay - Thank you Mike.
Mark1834
Megastar

Post by Mark1834 »

It's probably not the fhSQL library that is the root cause. The error message refers to line 40 in fhSQL, which is where it tried to connect to the external database. This connection is through the Microsoft ODBC database driver that is part of the .NET framework, and it is complaining that it cannot find this, and no alternative default has been defined.

This is certainly related to the failure to install the VCC components as well, but whether it is a bug in FH or just "one of those things" will become clear in time...
Mark Draper
wildbill
Platinum

Post by wildbill »

Mark, as an interested party can I jump in here and ask where to download your plugin for testing

Thx, Bill
Mark1834
Megastar

Post by Mark1834 »

Scroll back through this thread - the latest version is on the previous page. I recommend that you read the associated page in the Knowledge Base for an overview.

I think the plugin is reasonably mature now, with the scope defined and the development bugs shaken out. Normally, this would be the point that a plugin gets uploaded to the store. However, in this instance, I’m not sure that it’s appropriate to ask CP to host a plugin that requires purchase of a competitor product to promote a feature that is conspicuously absent from FH. At the moment, I’m happy to keep it just on the forum, but I will keep the KB page updated to always link to the latest version.

As a general point, this thread is getting a bit long now (and is itself a continuation of an earlier substantial discussion), so I think it is best if new questions/problems are raised in their own threads to keep it focused.
Mark Draper