* Importing from RM8?

Importing from another genealogy program? This is the place to ask. Questions about Exporting should go in the Exporting sub-forum of the General Usage forum.
fhtess65
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Importing from RM8?

Post by fhtess65 »

So, now that RootsMagic 8 has been released, will Family Historian also be able to import files from this new version? The extension has changed from .rmgc to .rmtree. Not that it's a huge issue for me, but just curious, especially as I help people with their genealogy while at work (librarian) and always encourage anyone considering family tree software to have a look at Family Historian.

Thanks,

Teresa
---
Teresa Basińska Eckford
Librarian & family historian
http://writingmypast.wordpress.com
Researching: Spong, Ferdinando, Taylor, Lawley, Sinkins, Montgomery; Basiński, Hilferding, Ratowski, Paszkiewicz
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Re: Importing from RM8?

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

The version notes for 7.0.8.2 say it does a direct import from RM8 and I believe that includes the file extension change.
Mark1834
Megastar

Post by Mark1834 »

The underlying file structure has not changed between RM7 and RM8. They are both SQLite databases, with RM8 adding some new tables and fields to manage the additional features in the new version. Sensibly, RM have left the structure of existing features generally unchanged.

I am testing the new FH-RM-Ancestry sync plugin that I am developing with both RM7 and RM8, and it behaves identically in the two versions.
Mark Draper
fhtess65
Megastar

Post by fhtess65 »

ColeValleyGirl wrote: 01 Oct 2021 06:50 The version notes for 7.0.8.2 say it does a direct import from RM8 and I believe that includes the file extension change.
Thanks, Helen. I figured it would, but figured I'd check here rather than creating yet another new FH project.

Teresa
---
Teresa Basińska Eckford
Researching: Spong, Ferdinando, Taylor, Lawley, Sinkins, Montgomery; Basiński, Hilferding, Ratowski, Paszkiewicz
fhtess65
Megastar

Post by fhtess65 »

Mark1834 wrote: 01 Oct 2021 08:01 The underlying file structure has not changed between RM7 and RM8. They are both SQLite databases, with RM8 adding some new tables and fields to manage the additional features in the new version. Sensibly, RM have left the structure of existing features generally unchanged.

I am testing the new FH-RM-Ancestry sync plugin that I am developing with both RM7 and RM8, and it behaves identically in the two versions.
Thanks, Mark - looking forward to seeing how this new plug-in of yours works when it's ready.

Teresa
---
Teresa Basińska Eckford