* Born and Died in Main tab.

Importing from another genealogy program? This is the place to ask. Questions about Exporting should go in the Exporting sub-forum of the General Usage forum.
sjubussen
Gold
Family Historian: V7

Born and Died in Main tab.

Post by sjubussen »

How can i get facts for Born, Died and their place data shown in Main tab? Data is imported frm TMG. Is there a batch operation to fix this? Any suggestions from other former TMG users?
tatewise
Megastar

Re: Born and Died in Main tab.

Post by tatewise »

If you used the standard Birth and Death facts in TMG then they should import into FH as standard Birth and Death facts, which then automatically are summarised on the Main tab of the Property Box.

Please investigate what Birth and Death facts have been imported to FH.
If necessary, post a screenshot of the Facts tab showing your Birth and Death facts that do not appear in the Main tab.
Please select the Birth fact and ensure the Sentence at the bottom is included in the screenshot.

As an exercise, in the Facts tab with your Birth and Death facts that don't appear in the Main tab, use the Add Fact button (bottom left green circle with white + icon) to add a standard Birth and Death fact, which will appear on the Main tab.
If that behaves as expected then it proves that your TMG Birth and Death facts are non-standard in some way.
In TMG what is their Master Tag Types definition for GEDCOM? It should be BIRT and DEAT respectively.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
sjubussen
Gold

Post by sjubussen »

Data is imported as Norwegian and it seems to me that this might be the problem. See Attached image.
Is there a batch operation where i can change "Fødsel" to Birth and "Død" to Died and so on? Because of a computer crash i do not have access to TMG.
Attachments
2021-07-31 (1).png
2021-07-31 (1).png (87.42 KiB) Viewed 4536 times
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

As I think I said before, you can download and install TMG from the Importing to Family Historian advice under Import from The Master Genealogist (TMG) where there is both the US and UK TMG Version 9 installation files.
I strongly advise you to do that because some features will be much easier to fix in TMG than in FH.

If Fødsel means Birth then please select that fact in your screenshot as I requested.

Also, please perform the exercise I requested and add a standard Fødsel/Birth and Dod/Death fact to see if they appear in the Main tab.

Please also use the Tools > Preferences > International options to show everything in English temporarily for us to understand.

After doing all that, take another screenshot with the original and added Birth & Death facts and tell us what appears in the Main tab.
If everything is correct when you choose English then there may be a problem with the Norwegian language pack.
sjubussen
Gold

Post by sjubussen »

As I think I said before, you can download and install TMG from the Importing to Family Historian advice under Import from The Master Genealogist (TMG) where there is both the US and UK TMG Version 9 installation files.
I strongly advise you to do that because some features will be much easier to fix in TMG than in FH.

The links for downloading TMG does not work. I have also tried Whollygenes but this i blocked for me. I am a registred user since long way back. How can i download the last version then?

And another question. I have tried "save draft" on this forum, but where do the drafts go?

Regards,
Sjubussen
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Please explain what you mean by "The links for downloading TMG does not work."
I have just clicked the UK link, saved tmg905uksetup.exe to my Desktop, then run that exe file and the installation starts.
What exactly does not work for you?

When you click SAVE DRAFT, and agree by selecting YES, it is saved here on the FHUG website.
When you use POST REPLY again, click LOAD DRAFT and you are offered a selection of saved drafts.
Choose the one required and the saved reply text is restored.
sjubussen
Gold

Post by sjubussen »

It was probably Chrome that blocked the download somehow. I downloaded using Edge. And installed it.

Also, please perform the exercise I requested and add a standard Fødsel/Birth and Dod/Death fact to see if they appear in the Main tab.

I have done that and as you can see i now got two facts of the same, both in English and Norwegian. Funny enough it is the Norwegian date and place record that is shown in the detail below the fact sheet. I have tested this by changing the date.

Please also use the Tools > Preferences > International options to show everything in English temporarily for us to understand.

I have changed to English. Any suggestion on the easiest way for me to correct this?
Attachments
2021-07-31 (3).png
2021-07-31 (3).png (49.83 KiB) Viewed 4486 times
2021-07-31 (2).png
2021-07-31 (2).png (82.53 KiB) Viewed 4486 times
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I have to admit that I am not an expert in foreign Language Packs.

However, I suspect that to get FH to recognise standard Birth and Death facts then the Project must use them.
The fact label can be changed in the Fact Set to use Fødsel and Død but underneath they must still be Birth and Death facts using the BIRT and DEAT standard GEDCOM tags.

I think your Fødsel and Død facts are custom facts that FH cannot recognise as Birth and Death.
That is why only the newly added English Birth and Death facts appear in the Main tab.
It also explains why you now get Age column values that were missing from your original screenshot

To confirm what I think please post a screenshot of Tools > Fact Types... with Show Hidden ticked and showing both the Death and Død facts.
It would also be useful to see the TMG Master Tag Type definition for the Død fact.

The same problem will apply to any other standard facts such as Baptism, Marriage, Census, Occupation, Burial, etc.

It should be possible to correct these problems when I fully understand the underlying data involved.

Can somebody who is more expert in foreign Language Packs add any advice please.
sjubussen
Gold

Post by sjubussen »

I think this is what you asked for. Thanks a lot for your effort. :D
Am i right thinking that if i change the Time Frame in the TMG(project) Fact Set to that of the Standard Fact Set, the problem will be solved?
Attachments
2021-07-31 (6).png
2021-07-31 (6).png (48.7 KiB) Viewed 4446 times
2021-07-31 (5).png
2021-07-31 (5).png (62.2 KiB) Viewed 4446 times
2021-07-31 (4).png
2021-07-31 (4).png (57.93 KiB) Viewed 4446 times
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Yes, that is what I asked for but it is somewhat confusing.
Can anybody else offer any useful advice that explains what is going wrong here?
We may have to refer this problem to Calico Pie to investigate what is happening.

The TMG Tag Type List suggests that Død should import using the DEAT tag and be a Standard Death fact.
It is important to get Død to use the DEAT tag, otherwise when you export your Project to any other product it will not be recognised as a Death fact, and likewise for all other standard facts.

Your FH Fact Types screenshots confirm that Død and Death are distinctly separate in two Fact Sets.
Therefore, FH does not recognise Død (and Fødsel) as the standard Death and Birth facts.

If the TMG facts had imported using BIRT and DEAT tags they would have <eclipsed> the Standard facts as below.
With that setup my Birth & Death facts are shown as Fødsel & Død, have Age details, and appear on the Main tab.

Fact Types Standard.png
Fact Types Standard.png (62.79 KiB) Viewed 4441 times
Fact Types TMG.png
Fact Types TMG.png (14.16 KiB) Viewed 4441 times

When you import the TMG project using File > Project Window > New Project which of these options do you use?

TMG Import Options.png
TMG Import Options.png (29.63 KiB) Viewed 4441 times
sjubussen
Gold

Post by sjubussen »

I believe i changed Language:* to Norwegian. I have tried a new import and using default settings, but the Fact Types looked the same.

To my understanding Name property in Fact Types is the essential here and should have the English word, Label property is for display purposes in any language. I have tried to change the property Time Frame to it's English word but that did not do anything. I'm quit stuck here and the Name Property is Read Only.

Have to sleep on it. New day new chances.
Best regards,
Sjubussen
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I have Emailed you so that you can reply with your TMG Project file attached.
Then I can try and repeat your problem and get a better understanding of what is going wrong.
Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane »

I believe the problem may be that the labels of US language in TMG have been changed, Try changing them to Birth and Death. Your language file for Norwegian can stay as it is.
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Unfortunately, the problem afflicts more than just Birth and Death, so would need a major edit to the Tag Type List to cure all the associated problems. Then after import to FH, all the fact Labels would have to be edited back to Norwegian.
( Also, the Census **** TMG facts cannot be resolved to just Census facts that way. )

See the TMG Fact Type import issues (19677) topic that summarises the problem and my experimental tests.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I have learnt a lot and think there is a solution to get this TMG 'Norwegian' project to import into FH successfully.
See the TMG Fact Type import issues (19677) topic that provides more background.

The reason it went wrong is that the TMG Tag Type List has had its English (U.S.) fact Labels edited to Norwegian.
The correct way to change language in TMG is to use the File > Language command, which selects the Norwegian version of the Tag Type List and Reports, etc...

Therefore, the first step is to undo the edits and reset the TMG Tag Type List English (U.S.) fact Labels to English.
Before making changes it would be wise to create a backup of the 'Norwegian' project.
I tried the TMG Tag Type List option to Translate just the English (U.S.) fact Labels but had no success.
So I opened the SAMPLE_UK__ project and in the Tag Type List used the Export command.
Then in the 'Norwegian' project Tag Type List used the Import command and chose that exported file with the Import and overwrite if the tag type already exists option, which resets all the Tag Type List languages.

In FH I used the direct import with the TMG Import Options for Language:* set to Norwegian.
That worked successfully, although the TMG (project) Fact Set Labels are still in English, but the Sentence Templates imported the Norwegian versions from the TMG Tag Type List.

The TMG (project) Fact Set will need manual editing if you want Norwegian fact Labels.
The Header record Language probably needs to be set to Norwegian/Norsk.
The Norwegian Language Pack needs to be installed.
However, the direct imnport process seems to be much better.
sjubussen
Gold

Post by sjubussen »

Hi there,
I'm pleased to tell you that i imported my TMG family again using the method that #tatewise has provided. It worked very well so no i can start explore FH more. Give that man a medal. :star :star :star :star :star Thanks again #tatewise.
Best regards,
sjubussen