* Import from TMG, adoptive parents wrong

Importing from another genealogy program? This is the place to ask. Questions about Exporting should go in the Exporting sub-forum of the General Usage forum.
torleiffh
Gold
Family Historian: V7

Import from TMG, adoptive parents wrong

Post by torleiffh »

After importing an adopted person from TMG the biological parents are wrong, they are shown as adoptive persons with "Relationship to Parents" = adopted.
Small test project from TMG attached.
Skjermbilde 2021-07-03 230022.png
Skjermbilde 2021-07-03 230022.png (31.09 KiB) Viewed 2329 times
KFN
Superstar

Re: Import from TMG, adoptive parents wrong

Post by KFN »

Was this imported via GEDCOM or some other way? In GEDCOM three options are possible for the “Adopted by” information: [ HUSB | WIFE | BOTH ]
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

As far as I can see from your screenshots and the small test project, the Adoptive Parents are correct.
They don't have the same surname as the adopted child (as expected).
Whereas, the Biological Parents father does have the same surname as the child.

I suspect what is confusing you is the order of the parent families (or maybe I misunderstand the relationships).
The Adoptive Parents are listed first followed by the Biological Parents, which does not match the real-life order.
That is corrected via the Property Box of the child on the All tab where there are multiple Parents family entries.
Select the lefthand Parents family entry for the Adoptive Parents and click the black down arrow top right.

However, in the small test project, that is not the only unusual family relationship.
The child Aina Antonsen has two single parent biological Parents family entries; one for the father and one for the mother; and they have a separate Spouse family entry for their Marriage.
That may be what you intended but it looks unusual.

BTW: It looks like you are using FH v7.0 so please update your Profile shown on the right of your postings.
Click your username torleiffh, then Profile/Edit Profile, select Family Historian: V7 and scroll down to click SUBMIT button.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
torleiffh
Gold

Post by torleiffh »

tatewise wrote: 04 Jul 2021 10:30 As far as I can see from your screenshots and the small test project, the Adoptive Parents are correct.
They don't have the same surname as the adopted child (as expected).
Whereas, the Biological Parents father does have the same surname as the child.

I suspect what is confusing you is the order of the parent families (or maybe I misunderstand the relationships).
The Adoptive Parents are listed first followed by the Biological Parents, which does not match the real-life order.
That is corrected via the Property Box of the child on the All tab where there are multiple Parents family entries.
Select the lefthand Parents family entry for the Adoptive Parents and click the black down arrow top right.

However, in the small test project, that is not the only unusual family relationship.
The child Aina Antonsen has two single parent biological Parents family entries; one for the father and one for the mother; and they have a separate Spouse family entry for their Marriage.
That may be what you intended but it looks unusual.

BTW: It looks like you are using FH v7.0 so please update your Profile shown on the right of your postings.
Click your username torleiffh, then Profile/Edit Profile, select Family Historian: V7 and scroll down to click SUBMIT button.
The adoptive parents were not married.
The family looks like this in TMG (the names are not their real names):
Skjermbilde 2021-07-04 145708.png
Skjermbilde 2021-07-04 145708.png (25.66 KiB) Viewed 2259 times
torleiffh
Gold

Post by torleiffh »

KFN wrote: 03 Jul 2021 23:46 Was this imported via GEDCOM or some other way? In GEDCOM three options are possible for the “Adopted by” information: [ HUSB | WIFE | BOTH ]
Direct import from TMG.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Sorry, I found it difficult to relate your posted screenshot with the small test project that has completely different names for the Individuals involved.

With your additional description and TMG screenshot, it would seem that FH has imported the relationships incorrectly.
So please report that to CP via their http://www.calico-pie.com/osticket/open.php support ticket system and cross-refer to this thread.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry