* Uploading Gedcom to Find my Past

Importing from another genealogy program? This is the place to ask. Questions about Exporting should go in the Exporting sub-forum of the General Usage forum.
janefrances
Famous
Family Historian: V6.2

Uploading Gedcom to Find my Past

Post by janefrances »

I'm now trying to export a Gedcom file of my side of the family with just the bare essentials, I don't really want to include exact dates for BMD something like 1900-1970 would be great, is this possible? thanks
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: Uploading Gedcom to Find my Past

Post by tatewise »

Yes, but it might need a number of steps.
Start by creating a copy of your Project using the File > Project Window > More Tasks > Copy Project command.
Then use the File > Split Tree Helper to remove Facts you don't want to export by using the lower right options.
Next use the Trim Date And Text Fields plugins to trim Dates down to just the year.
Finally, use the Export Gedcom File plugin and select (FMP) FindMyPast Family Tree export mode.

As a matter of interest, what are you hoping to achieve with FindMyPast?
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
janefrances
Famous

Post by janefrances »

Thanks again for your help Mike, to be honest, I'm not sure now if I want to go ahead with exporting it to Find my Past. Although I've been researching my family tree for many years, I've never put my tree on Ancestry or Find my Past, I have a very basic tree I put on Tribal Pages ages ago, but didn't upload it using Gedcom. I've never had anyone contact me regarding a possible link, so thought I might have more luck with one of the others on offer. I don't intend to subscribe for more than a month at a time and I would always have my main family tree on computer preferring to check any sources myself. I'm still playing around with learning how to export, but I don't want to include many facts and I must admit I'm finding it difficult. :?
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

The fewer facts and details you include then I suspect it is less likely that matches will be forthcoming.
Also, beware about putting living people details online.

What are you finding difficult?
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
janefrances
Famous

Post by janefrances »

Thanks Mike, When I used the split tree helper, I was left with a number of facts that I didn't want to upload on Gedcom, but I chose the delete all facts option, I realised afterwards of course it that it also deleted all the dates of births, marr and deaths. So I had to start all over again! :P I didn't realise until later that there was other options I could have chosen but I didn't see it at the time.
Mark1834
Megastar

Post by Mark1834 »

One option you might want to experiment with is setting the Private flag for individuals you don’t want to include. I do that with my Ancestry tree, and the export routine omits them completely so they are not included in the public tree in any form.
Mark Draper
janefrances
Famous

Post by janefrances »

Yes, I did think about doing that Mark, thank you. I'm going to spend some time going through it all over the next few days or so, before I decide whether or not to go ahead.