* Export GEDCOM of Portion of Project

Importing from another genealogy program? This is the place to ask. Questions about Exporting should go in the Exporting sub-forum of the General Usage forum.
JKW
Silver
Family Historian: V7

Export GEDCOM of Portion of Project

Post by JKW »

I want to create and export a GEDCOM which shows how two individuals are related.
tatewise
Megastar

Re: Export GEDCOM of Portion of Project

Post by tatewise »

The strategy would go something like the following steps.
  1. Use Tools > How Related... to select the two Individuals and Display Graphically.. with desired options.
  2. In the Diagram use Diagram > Selection & Marks > Select All Boxes... or use Ctrl+A
  3. Use the Edit > Add to Named List... command to form a Named List of Individuals to export.
  4. Use the File > Import/Export > Export GEDCOM File... command and Select... that Named List.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
JKW
Silver

Post by JKW »

Very helpful. I was able to save a GEDCOM file. Am I correct in believing when imported into a genealogy program, the result will be a small tree with the dots connected between the selected individuals?

Thank-you for your lucid instructions.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Probably. Which product(s) are you importing the GEDCOM into?
You may get better results by using the Export Gedcom File plugin.
JKW
Silver

Post by JKW »

Not sure. I am trying to help the Milton Abbas local history group in Dorset by providing them with some detailed information of some of the early inhabitants, several of which are my relatives. I will send the file I have built and look forward to hearing from them. I have encouraged the to use Family Historian. The Milton Abbas group is more about history than genealogy.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

In that case, they might find the How Related Diagram saved as a PDF easier to understand.
If they are not genealogists and don't have a suitable genealogy product then interpreting the GEDCOM file may be tricky.

If the Diagram needs to include more facts then the Diagram > Options > Text tab lets you choose another Text Scheme.