* Import to v7 from Legacy v9

Importing from another genealogy program? This is the place to ask. Questions about Exporting should go in the Exporting sub-forum of the General Usage forum.
bluefin21
Family Historian: V7

Import to v7 from Legacy v9

Post by bluefin21 »

I've used Legacy as my main family history package for a number of years, but I've also had Family Historian. I haven't really used it in any depth - essentially I've only used it for the "Everyone Diagram"! But I think I'd like to make a serious effort to migrate to it properly. To that end I've been reading the instructions at Importing to Family Historian, and one of the things mentioned is handling place locations. The instructions suggest using a plugin called "Convert Legacy Places". But despite extensive searching (of the forums, the plugin store, the internet generally, ...!) I can't find it. Has it been removed, or am I just looking in the wrong place? Or maybe it has been made redundant by FHv7? Any pointers please??
If it has been removed, is the "fix" as simple as doing a search and replace of _PLAC_DEFN for FH_PLAC in the GEDCOM file, or is it more complicated than that?

And now a second question! When I import the GEDCOM file from Legacy into FH, I can see all my media files in the media window. So knowledge of their 'existence' has transferred across - however, none of the links to individuals seem to been retained. E.g. in Legacy, I've attached an image of a birth certificate to a person; in FH, I can see that image listed in the "View All Media" list, but it's not listed in the Media tab for the individual. I can link them again, which seems to work fine. But should that link have come across in the import? And if so, what might I be doing wrong?

Thanks for any help :)
tatewise
Megastar

Re: Import to v7 from Legacy v9

Post by tatewise »

Welcome to the FHUG.

Let me investigate the 'missing' Plugin.
The FHUG Knowledge Base has recently been revamped and few things like Plugins have gone astray.

Regarding the Media, you can discover a lot about where they are used once you know where to look.
See my answer to another user at Crossed out media Sat 10th Apr 2021 16:44.

Probably, source documents like a birth certificate are attached to the Source Citations linked to Facts such as Birth, Marriage, Death & Census. Therefore, they won't appear on the Media tab of Individuals as that is intended for personal photos.

There are several Legacy migrants here who I'm sure will give their advice too.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I have tracked down a copy of the Plugin and made a minor adjustment for it to work with FH V7.

It was discussed in the Import from Legacy - Places (16675) thread but is no longer in the Plugin Store.

Try the attached Convert Legacy Places plugin Version 0.2 Date 11 Apr 2021.
Last edited by tatewise on 01 Feb 2024 16:54, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Attachment deleted as later version is in the Plugin Store.
bluefin21

Post by bluefin21 »

Thanks Mike, very much appreciated! You were also right about the images. I just didn't know the right place to look in FH - they were indeed attached to Facts.
bluefin21

Post by bluefin21 »

..and just to let you know, the plugin seems to have worked! [As far as I can tell, of course - given that I didn't even know where to find images :D ].

I probably need to do a couple more iterations of the export parameters from Legacy to get it 'perfect', but looking good so far. Thanks again.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Thank you for the feedback. I'll find somewhere to publish that Plugin for others to find.

There is a great deal of advice for using FH in the FHUG Knowledge Base.
Start with Key Features for Newcomers especially the Family Historian Documentation that cross-refers to Help Files, Guides, Tutorials, Online Documentation and Downloads, including the FH V7 Help files.
JohnTownes

Post by JohnTownes »

I have a follow up question regarding the above issue. I've been using Legacy as my database for about 2000 people and GEDSite to make it into a website. I am trying FH to see if I can combine a good website creator with the database. (Legacy's websites are 1990's style and awful. )

Everything exports from Legacy and photos such as copies of documents for events and is basically indexed to the correct people. However the non-person event photos do not seem fully linked to the Legacy event they came from and not displayed.. . And when I make a website the non-primary photos are separate from any information in the event.

I'm used to the Legacy interface and may be missing something basic in FH, but is there a way to connect the events with the photos and people en masse, without going through all of the individuals and photos one by one?
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Welcome to the FHUG John.

I suspect your problems are probably due to being unfamiliar with the way FH works.
Legacy data and Media usually import very well into FH.
Presumably, you are using the FH direct import from Legacy rather than a GEDCOM file.

Please try the following.
In the Property Box of an Individual, open the Facts tab and select a Fact in the upper pane that you believe has non-personal document Media attached.
Then click the Show Media icon in the centre of the toolbar below the Facts pane.
In the popup window ensure both Include Source Record Media and Include Citation Media are ticked.
Does that reveal the documents you are looking for?

If that works, then I can explain other ways you can find those Media within the Source Citations.

Regarding making a website, I guess you are still using GedSite with FH.
I believe that when the FH GEDCOM is used in GedSite the Source Citation document Media is handled correctly.
We can discuss that further when you have a better understanding of where those Media exist in FH.
JohnTownes

Post by JohnTownes »

Thanks. I'll try your suggestions and let you know how it works.

My goal, if I get this working right, is to use FH as both the genealogy database and make the website directly from it in a more integrated way rather than using two separate programs (i.e. Legacy and GEDSite).
JohnTownes

Post by JohnTownes »

After fuddling around I'm starting to get a better handle on the FH workspace, though still a lot more to figure out.

However, one thing I can't get a handle on is creating a website. I have been playing with different options, but have the same problem of trying to get Events (Facts) information show with pictures on a person's webpage. Also how to make an individual webpage for a person.

As I mentioned, I'm trying to use FH as both an integrated database and website maker, after using Legacy and GEDSite for that. (Those work but using two programs is cumbersome.) I've attached a URL to a page in my current website that shows basically what I want to do in FH, with an individual page, including Events with graphics and information together as entries. https://johntownes.com/FA/g1/p1.htm#i13

Any suggestions on how to do this would be greatly appreciated.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

The FH Publish > Websites & Family Tree feature primarily involves the reports available in that Publish menu.
You need to become more familiar with the Individual Summary Report, Family Group Sheet, and Narrative Reports > Individual Narrative. They have many Report > Options to include/exclude facts, notes, pictures, source citations and associated media, bibliography, index, etc.
See the FHUG Knowledge Base for An Overview of Reporting with tips & tricks.

The techniques for incorporating Reports and other details into a website will need some practice (just like GedSite!).
See the FHUG Knowledge Base for Create Family Tree CD/DVD or Website Content for advice.

I'm sure you will have more questions as FH is a powerful product with many features and customisable options.
They cannot be learnt without investing a fair amount of time.
I wonder how long it took you to master Legacy and GedSite.