* How do I export the data needed to print a family tree

Importing from another genealogy program? This is the place to ask. Questions about Exporting should go in the Exporting sub-forum of the General Usage forum.
MartinBeard
Family Historian: V7

How do I export the data needed to print a family tree

Post by MartinBeard »

Hi,
I'm new to the FH forum so please forgive me if I ask the wrong questions!
I am using FH7 (updated from FH6). I wish to print the family tree.
The person who has the big printer does not have the FH progam or anything similar.
He is Apple mad so everything in his house is Apple Mac.
Is there a method of sending him the printing file via email and what would be the best format.
Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.
Martin
LornaCraig
Megastar

Re: How do I export the data needed to print a family tree

Post by LornaCraig »

Hello, welcome to FHUG,

The recommended method for preparing a large chart for printing is to save it as a single page PDF file. Use Diagram>Save diagram as >PDF file, and select the option to Adjust PDF File Page Size so that Diagram fits into One Page. By default the file will be saved in the Public folder of your Project, but you can choose to save it elsewhere. The PDF file can be sent by email.

For further advice see this article in the Knowledge Base:
Single PDF Page of a Diagram
Lorna
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Welcome to the FHUG Martin.

After displaying your Chart/Diagram use Diagram > Save Diagram As > PDF File (.pdf)...
That will produce a single page PDF file containing the whole family tree diagram and suitable for printing anywhere.
Just accept the default to Adjust PDF File Page Size so Diagram fits on One Page
Accept the Printer Name as Family Historian PDF
Finally, OK the Family Historian PDF - Save PDF File As dialogue that pops up top left.

Ignore the page size & boundaries shown in the on-screen diagram, because the options above disregard them.

For more details see the FHUG Knowledge Base Single PDF Page of a Diagram.
That also covers special cases where your diagram is exceptionally large or won't fit on one PDF page.

[Lorna & I posted together]
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
MartinBeard

Post by MartinBeard »

Thanks Lorna and tatewise, So far so good. However, when my brother tried to print it on his 60mm printer the whole diagram has been printed in A4 size in the middle of the cintinuous paper sheet on his printer.
I have managed to save it so it is small enough to go via email. How can I save and send it so it will then print in full size on his printer.
His printer is capable of printing a document 60mm wide and very long, like a roll of wallpaper.
The full size of a previous print was 50mm X 2800mm.
Regards
Martin
LornaCraig
Megastar

Post by LornaCraig »

When you have created the diagram in FH use Diagram>Diagram statistics to check the dimensions of the diagram. The maximum dimensions supported by the PDF method are 128″ x 128″ or 3276 mm x 3276, so unless your diagram is bigger than that there should not be any need to scale it down. Just make sure that the shorter dimension will fit within the 600mm wide paper. (I assume you mean 600 mm, not 60!)

If any scaling is required to reduce one dimension to less that 600mm , follow the guidance in the Knowledge Base article which we gave a link to.

You do NOT need to shrink the diagram to fit within any displayed page boundaries. You should NOT have page boundaries displayed on the screen, as these will probably be for A4 sized paper. Just use the option to Adjust PDF File Page Size so that Diagram fits into One Page. This will automatically create a single 'page' of the size required for your diagram.
Lorna
MartinBeard

Post by MartinBeard »

Just as I hit reply for my last message my brother rang to let me know the problem is solved. He tells me that to make it print full size he had enter the document dimensions into the printer and the relative aspects were automaticaly calculated..... Simples!
Thanks again Lorna for your help.
Regards
Martin