* Media frame links on export to TNG

Importing from another genealogy program? This is the place to ask. Questions about Exporting should go in the Exporting sub-forum of the General Usage forum.
rhodian
Gold
Family Historian: V7

Media frame links on export to TNG

Post by rhodian »

I'm using the Export Gedcom File plugin to TNG (which supports frame links) and during a recent import they were not added to media. Are they exported from FH?
tatewise
Megastar

Re: Media frame links on export to TNG

Post by tatewise »

Please can you go into a bit more detail?

Are you saying you have regularly used the Export Gedcom File plugin for TNG and successfully uploaded Media?
However, the last time you went through the same process the Media did not upload.

If you've used the plugin regularly you'll know it exports the GEDCOM & Media files to the Project ...\Public\Export\ folder.

The advice for uploading to TNG is in plugins:help:export_gedcom_file:tng_the_next_generation#import_details|> Import Details and towards the end suggests using FTP to upload the GEDCOM & Media files.

I have made some guesses about your problem, but maybe I have misunderstood the issue.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
rhodian
Gold

Post by rhodian »

Apologies for the confusion, I copied part of a FB question I posted and omitted some key points... I've successfully exported/imported GEDCOMs for TNG.

I've started using frame links in FH i.e. linking regions on media to individuals and would like to know if that data (box co-ordinates) are exported using the plugin?

Looking at TNG following a successful import, the media is displayed but I cannot click on a region on the image and have the individual's details displayed.

Thanks
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I did not think TNG supported frames within media. That is a special FH feature.
So the Plugin allows those 'frames' to be exported as 'cropped' media images.

The Plugin has several Multimedia Conversion modes on the Basic Options tab.
Which mode have you been using?
TNG usually defaults to (PART~LMO) Part Frames via Local Media Objects that should do what you want.
i.e. Displays the 'cropped' portion of the original full frame image.

See plugins:help:export_gedcom_file:basic_options|> Export Gedcom File ~ Basic Options under Multimedia Conversion for a summary and follow the link to plugins:help:export_gedcom_file:output_media_style|> Export Gedcom File ~ Output Media Style for full details.

If there have been some recent updates to TNG to support frames within media then I will need details to see if the Plugin can map the FH frames onto TNG frames. However, I suspect that may not be possible using a GEDCOM file.
rhodian
Gold

Post by rhodian »

TNG has supported media frames for the last 2 major releases, that I am aware of. It has been enhanced again with the recent V13 release.

Like you however, I do not think that the GEDCOM standard has any mechanism for their inclusion in the file.

I had Multimedia Conversion mode set to FILE~REL, I will change to ALL~LMO as I want both the original media and the cropped images.

Thanks again Michael...
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I do not have TNG and rely on others for details.
Could you create a small experimental database in TNG and add frames to some images.
Then export that database to GEDCOM and attach it to this thread so I can review how frames are represented.
There are many 'custom' features possible in GEDCOM and my Plugin uses some of them.
So it may be possible for FH frames to migrate to TNG frames via my Plugin, but I need the details.
rhodian
Gold

Post by rhodian »

Hi Mike,

Please find attached details relating a FB post asking questions of the community and reply from developer (Darrin Lythgoe) as well a screenshot of the TNG media edit screen and a copy of the exported GEDCOM file..

Hope this helps!

Regards
Attachments
FB TNG Post.jpg
FB TNG Post.jpg (157.51 KiB) Viewed 3912 times
TNG Image Info.jpg
TNG Image Info.jpg (414.56 KiB) Viewed 3912 times
TestTree.ged
(722 Bytes) Downloaded 147 times
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Unfortunately, that confirms that TNG has no ability to import/export image tags (FH image frames) via GEDCOM.

The sample GEDCOM you posted has no image tag details whatsoever.