* Same name Individual and Family Fact types

Importing from another genealogy program? This is the place to ask. Questions about Exporting should go in the Exporting sub-forum of the General Usage forum.
MartinR
Gold
Family Historian: V7

Same name Individual and Family Fact types

Post by MartinR »

If TMG Custom Tags (e.g. Task) are imported with both 1 and 2 (partnered) principal persons, FH shows both Individual AND Family Fact Types of the same name (as per the Fact Types dialog). If I edit these, FH prompts me to create FH Custom Fact Types (Individual and Family) of the same name, and on the second one I get the warning ...

"There is already an existing definition for a fact type called Task which is not a Family event. It is not recommended to use the same name for both an event and an attribute, or for an Individual fact and a Family fact"

It would suit me to have both fact types with the same name. Any idea what dangers lie therein?

Separately, what's the quickest way to get to the Family Property Box from a Family Fact listed under a (floating) Individual's Fact Tab? (dbl-clicking the fact takes me to the other individual).
Martin - after 30 years, discovered my wife's favourite grandparent was my second cousin twice removed - tricky stuff this family history lark ...
tatewise
Megastar

Re: Same name Individual and Family Fact types

Post by tatewise »

The only danger is that the two facts with the same name may get confused.
However, you can mitigate that after defining the two facts by assigning each one a different Label and Abbreviation.

Alternatively, you could migrate the custom Family facts to be two Individual facts for husband & wife.
That would then be more like Individual Census events where everyone involved has the same fact even for Family couples.
A variant of that would be to move the custom Family fact to a husband Individual fact with the wife as a Fact Witness.
I have a Plugin for this second option, and the first option would be a variant of the Migrate Census Family to Individual Events Plugin.

The easiest way to open the Family Property Box is via the Focus Window.
In the Individual Property Box click either Display in Focus Window magnifying glass icon.
In the Focus Window click the blue bar (showing marriage details) running across under both Individuals.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
MartinR
Gold

Re: Same name Individual and Family Fact types

Post by MartinR »

Thanks, Mike. In the case in question, it's going to be different facts as you suggested.
Martin - after 30 years, discovered my wife's favourite grandparent was my second cousin twice removed - tricky stuff this family history lark ...