* Ancestry says 'no'

Importing from another genealogy program? This is the place to ask. Questions about Exporting should go in the Exporting sub-forum of the General Usage forum.
CarolA3
Silver
Family Historian: V7

Ancestry says 'no'

Post by CarolA3 »

I've been trying for an hour to set up a tree on Ancestry using my existing FH6 tree.

My computer tells me that the file named (at the moment) 'Carol's Family Tree' is a Gedcom with a .ged suffix.

Ancestry tells me that it 'does not appear to be a valid GEDCOM file'.

I have no idea what to do and am on the verge of giving up. I have very little understanding of IT stuff, so answers will have to be in very plain English please.
Carol
CarolA3
Silver

Re: Ancestry says 'no'

Post by CarolA3 »

Since my initial post, I've spoken to Ancestry. No help to be found there.
Carol
Valkrider
Megastar

Post by Valkrider »

Carol

In Family Historian select File > Import/Export > Export > GEDCOM File The default it UTF-8 leave it at that. Choose any of the other tick boxes that you want and select the people that you want to have on Ancestry.

This will create a Gedcom for you which will be in your project folder under Public > Export.

However, the best way is to use Mike's Export Gedcom File plugin that has a specific Ancestry export mod. If you are happy installing and using a plugin this is the best way.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Carol, I suspect you are trying to export the Carol's Family Tree.ged GEDCOM file embedded within the FH Project structure for Carol's Family Tree.
That uses a Unicode format, which although perfectly valid, is not supported by many other products.
Most products support the UTF-8 format, which is obtained as Colin explained.

For the Media Records option use Exclude as Ancestry does not support bulk upload of media images.

One thing to be aware of is the privacy of sensitive information.
The details of living people should not be uploaded to an online tree without their express agreement.
There are tools available to hide sensitive details such as Name and BMD Dates.

If you need any further help with the export options then please do ask.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
CarolA3
Silver

Post by CarolA3 »

Valkrider wrote: 19 Feb 2020 07:27 1) In Family Historian select File > Import/Export > Export > GEDCOM File The default it UTF-8 leave it at that. Choose any of the other tick boxes that you want and select the people that you want to have on Ancestry.

2) This will create a Gedcom for you which will be in your project folder under Public > Export.

3) However, the best way is to use Mike's Export Gedcom File plugin that has a specific Ancestry export mod. If you are happy installing and using a plugin this is the best way.
1) I've done exactly that, several times.

2) Computer has searched for anything named 'Export' - nothing found. Where is 'project folder'?

3) Might be happier about plugins if I knew what they were and how to find them :oops:

Sorry to be so unbearably thick about this. It's a language I was never taught :roll:
Carol
CarolA3
Silver

Post by CarolA3 »

tatewise wrote: 19 Feb 2020 10:10 1) Carol, I suspect you are trying to export the Carol's Family Tree.ged GEDCOM file embedded within the FH Project structure for Carol's Family Tree.
That uses a Unicode format, which although perfectly valid, is not supported by many other products.
Most products support the UTF-8 format, which is obtained as Colin explained.

2) For the Media Records option use Exclude as Ancestry does not support bulk upload of media images.

3) One thing to be aware of is the privacy of sensitive information.
The details of living people should not be uploaded to an online tree without their express agreement.
There are tools available to hide sensitive details such as Name and BMD Dates.

4)If you need any further help with the export options then please do ask.
1) I don't understand much of that, but no worries as UTF-8 seems to be the default.

2) No Media attached anyway, but should I still use Exclude?

3) I do understand the privacy issues, but thanks for the reminder.

4) You might regret that kind offer :lol:
Carol
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Have you used the File > Import/Export > Export > GEDCOM File command?
If you have no attached Media then it does not matter which option you choose.
After clicking OK it offers a Save As dialogue to choose the filename and folder where you want the GEDCOM saved.
It defaults to your Project's Public folder, but you can choose anywhere that will be easy to find.
e.g. Documents or Desktop

Let me know if you want to try the Plugin alternative. It really is quite easy.
Valkrider
Megastar

Post by Valkrider »

Carol did you find your Export folder?

If not unless you have changed its location it should be in your documents folder > family historian projects > your project name > Public > Export.

To confirm your project location in Family Historian go to File > Project Window and the current location will be shown just below the list of projects.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Colin, the File > Import/Export > Export > GEDCOM File command does NOT use an Export folder by default.
You may be thinking of the Plugin that does use an Export folder.
But they are all only defaults and can be changed to whatever folder you prefer.
CarolA3
Silver

Post by CarolA3 »

Colin and Mike,

You'll be relieved to hear that I've finally managed to accomplish what should have been a simple task :shock: :D

I think the problem arose from a Windows 10 update which nearly broke my computer a couple of years ago. It took several lengthy phone calls with Microsoft to sort it all out, and they gave me some nice freebies to stop me crying. A lot of backups were done during the repair process and some files/folders were duplicated - including the FH projects which ended up with two different names. I was looking at the wrong version. That's how dim I am with IT :roll:

Anyhow, thank you for your support and patience and for making me look properly.
Carol