* Export to TMG

Importing from another genealogy program? This is the place to ask. Questions about Exporting should go in the Exporting sub-forum of the General Usage forum.
Senelstune

Export to TMG

Post by Senelstune »

A somewhat weird inquiry here. What is the best way to export a small Gedcom file from FH to TMG ? I am having some trouble importing the FH generated 5.5 into TMGUKGold 9.5

Any help, much appreciated.

john
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: Export to TMG

Post by tatewise »

Merry Christmas John, but a few more clues would help.
You obviously know how you are exporting the GEDCOM, and the import troubles encountered but we don't.

Presumably you are using File > Import/Export > Export > GEDCOM File ?
OR are you using the Export Gedcom File Plugin, and with which options ?

What are the import problems ?
Does TMG not even recognise the GEDCOM file, or is it that just a few details are not imported ?

The TMG > Help page for GEDCOM Import says at the bottom it does NOT support UTF-8 encoded files.
If that is your 'trouble' then you will need to choose ANSI instead and risk some character corruption.

A brief explanation of what you are hoping to achieve might help.
I thought you had permanently migrated from TMG to FH long ago ?
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Senelstune

Post by Senelstune »

Hi Mike ... and all the best to you and your family too. We are still suffering from a lot of smoke here and fires everywhere and we are hardly into the really hot time yet in Australia. No doubt there may have been a fair bit of rain where you are ? What climate change ?

Yes, I have left TMG ... and very pleased with the move I am too. Of course, I still have my old TMG copy but I am not maintaining the database in TMG any more, so I can't go back even if I wanted to. Sure, there are challenges with FH, but that's half the fun and the benefits and options far outweigh any perceived negatives. We are very lucky to have this support facility available for FH.

However I would like to get a small extract from my FH project in a GEDCOM format to another person who is running TMG.

I have tried using File > Import/Export > Export > GEDCOM File as well as the Export Gedcom File Plugin but I need to try the ANSI selection as TMG does not like the GEDCOM file at all, it halts immediately, nothing is imported.

I will let you know how I go over the next few days.

Thanks for your advice.

john
Senelstune

Post by Senelstune »

Mike,

OK, exported using ANSI .. and imported into TMG too. Some fact types, roles, "witness" and media did not travel over well but that was expected and we can live with that, the main thing is that structures and relationships are all there.

Thanks for the info about ANSI rather than UTF8 ... that did the trick.

All the best Mike for 2020.

john