* Occupation Problem TMG to fh to Gedsite

Importing from another genealogy program? This is the place to ask. Questions about Exporting should go in the Exporting sub-forum of the General Usage forum.
E Wilcock
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: Occupation Problem TMG to fh to Gedsite

Post by E Wilcock »

If John had said the text field is blank, I might have understood.

Yes I have queried the Sadler tree for witnessed Occupations and you are right, I do have them. I dont think that matters.

What I notice more is that the default Occupation sentence "He or she was" in Gedsite and presumably in fh too does not fit well with my use of the field.

Going back to the Haigh tree which is the only one holding custom Occupation events.
There are no witness events for Occupation. A couple for education where one person taught another and two shared research notes. Otherwise witnessed events are limited to the Events that I listed above.

I have only 5 individuals who have both Attribute and Event entries for Occupation and have listed them.

The majority of Event entries have Occupation in them, many just a word or two as from the census entries.
On this tree, I used this occupation field for a full employment biography only for two people, I think. I did it for purposes of the family reunion, for my mother in law and her cousin.

If I used your plug in to change any fact, and could select each one in turn, and change the simple ones. Then I agree, I could rename the ones with longer entries to Profession.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

To be pedantic, John C did say "This example is only interesting because of the lack of a useful text value."

John C says that in GedSite both the principal and the witness will treat the Occupation as primary.
Whether that matters is something you will need to decide.

The default Occupation Sentence in most products assumes an Occupation short name such as agricultural labourer or builder or carter, so "He/She was a/an" works well.
You will need to adjust that for your various and often longer descriptions.
One option is no default sentence except for the occupation value itself, which would have to be a complete sentence.
Another is to keep the default "He/She was a/an" if that works for most Occupation facts, and selectively edit the Sentence box for specific Occupation facts to cater for the long descriptions. Those edited sentences do migrate across to GedSite.

Now let us consider your full employment biography only for two people.
I would suggest those custom Occupation Events are changed to Employment, which already exists in the FH Extended Set of facts for FTM and thus widely recognised, rather than use a new custom Profession fact.
The Change Any Fact Tag Plugin allows you to Pick those two people and only apply the change to them.

Having done that the Change Any Fact Tag Plugin can change every remaining custom Occupation Event to a standard Occupation Attribute, but won't move the Note text to the occupation value.
That text move could be done one at a time by hand, or I could write a tiny Plugin to move any short Note text to the Occupation value, but only if that value is empty.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
E Wilcock
Megastar

Post by E Wilcock »

Thank you Mike.
I have done that. All the woollen slubbers and lampshade fringers now have their Attribute Occupations.

The Employment event on my fh was custom. I have used it for 3 people and will write future biographies in Employment, as you suggest.

I need to report back to you that the plug in and fh froze when I selected just one person to make the change for. However, when I pressed alt, control and delete, the list of tasks running showed up and appeared to unfreeze fh. I suspect it was connected to the fact that i was working down a list of people produced by a query and those query results update populating the column for attribute automatically as one works - so I probably created a conflict.

I have checked the only big work Project which I brought in to fh from TMG and am glad to report that there are no occupation events there so I have no idea why this problem arose in this particular project.

But I am grateful to you for helping me solve it.

I was under the impression that unlike Second Site, Gedsite abandonned all sentences from software and substituted its own., But that may be wrong.
jbtapscott
Megastar

Post by jbtapscott »

Evelyn - there is an option in GedSite to use the source system (viz FH) sentences or to use the sentences you have created / modified in GedSite. From memory (as it is a while since I tried the options as I now have mine cemented in!) but I think the FH / Export Plugin also has an option to export (or not) the FH sentences.

I used the FH sentences in GedSite initially but, because I had some variations (Functions I think) in my FH sentences, I did not get exactly what I wanted and therefore went with creation of sentences in GedSite.
Brent Tapscott ~ researching the Tapscott and Wallace family history
Tapscott & Wallace family tree
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Brent is correct, the default in the Export Gedcom File Plugin for (GST) GedSite is to include the FH Sentence Templates.
I know your exported GEDCOM includes them, because the recent [GS] Digest from John C gives some examples:
e.g.
0 _FACT OCCU-IA
1 _NAME Occupation
1 _LABEL Occupation
1 _SENT {date} {individual} was {a/an value} {place} {age}

However, I cannot remember the details of the settings in GedSite to use those _SENT templates.
Brent is also correct that GedSite does not support all the features available in FH, such as most functions, but I suspect you are not using any of them.

I will have a look at that FH freezing scenario, but I'm not sure why you were selecting Individuals that way.
It was only the Occupation to Employment change that needed to Pick two or three Individual records, but I forgot to say that you could have selected them prior to running the Plugin.

So now you have successfully changed all Occupation Events to Occupation Attributes there must be about 160 Occupation Attributes with no occupation value, because it is still in the Note field. What do you want to do with them?
E Wilcock
Megastar

Post by E Wilcock »

First to Mike - No, it is all done. Thank you. As I said, each person has their Occupation. I worked down the result list from the query and took the name of the occupation out of every Occupation Note field and pasted it into the correct field.

jbtapscott - Thank you for the suggestions. You are right about it being cemented in - I set up Second site in 2008 and didnt touch it for 10 years till now, fixing Gedsite from the notes I made back then.
I will take a decision on sentences if I ever make a full website from my data. I think I know how to make the choices. For my basic web trees on a public site I only use BMD and an Occupation.

It is unfortunate that fh (unknown to me) handles occupation very differently from my previous software and also that it doesnt allow one to select a primary instance of an Event.

But as usual you have helped me surmount the hurdles Mike and I am very grateful.
E Wilcock
Megastar

Post by E Wilcock »

Thank you Mike for your help with the import, and preparing the Project for export to Gedsite.

The site has been created and uploaded. All but one of the trees on my site are now made from fh and Gedsite, and export from fh projects using Mike's plug in is normally problem free.
So perhaps in spite of lapses in my data entry and spelling, you can add my site to the list of fh users websites?
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I've added links:members_web_sites:evelyn_wilcock_genealogy_page|> Member Web Site ~ Evelyn Wilcock Genealogy Page.