* Import from UFT (Ultimate Family Tree)

Importing from another genealogy program? This is the place to ask. Questions about Exporting should go in the Exporting sub-forum of the General Usage forum.
Benrud
Family Historian: V6.2

Import from UFT (Ultimate Family Tree)

Post by Benrud »

I just downloaded my Gedcom file from UFT after using UFT successfully for 9 years. At first glance, FH seemed wonderful -- I loved the reports and the screen views. However, shortly after downloading and reviewing some of the data, I realized that the mailing addresses and e-mails that were all entered into UFT were not there, or I couldn't see them. Help -- anyway to download those into FH.
Jane
Site Admin
Family Historian: V7

Re: Import from UFT (Ultimate Family Tree)

Post by Jane »

When you imported to Family Historian, you will have got a report of any exceptions, did you review that carefully?

As mailing addresses and emails are not valid Gedcom 5.5 tags, it's possible the data has been imported as "Uncategorised Data Fields" or UDFs

If so they would have been reported as such. See how_to:handling_unrecognised_data_fields|> Handling Uncategorised Data Fields (UDF) for how to convert them to Facts.

Of course if your old program did not export them to the gedcom it's not possible for Family Historian to import them.
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: Import from UFT (Ultimate Family Tree)

Post by tatewise »

Welcome to the FHUG.

See how_to:index#importing_to_family_historian|> Importing to Family Historian for lots of general importing advice.

I strongly advise studying how_to:key_features_for_newcomers|> Key Features for Newcomers to discover the features of FH that will almost certainly be quite different from UFT
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry