* interchange with myHeritage with photos

Importing from another genealogy program? This is the place to ask. Questions about Exporting should go in the Exporting sub-forum of the General Usage forum.
piotao
Gold
Family Historian: V6

interchange with myHeritage with photos

Post by piotao »

Hello,

In short: MyHeritage -> FamilyHistorian (processing) -> MyHeritage

I have MyHeritage account and a family tree with 300+ nodes. Lots of them have photos. I've exported the GEDCOM file including photos (using MyHeritage Family Tree Builder, which is another application). All data were exported to Family Historian and a nice tree with photos and all data was successfully built.

The question is how to export all data from Family Historian (including photos) and how to import them back to MyHeritage website? I prefer Family Historian app, but my family want's to see tree using the web and myHeritage interface. So, another question is how to efficiently interchange information between both of those family tree programs?
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: interchange with myHeritage with photos

Post by tatewise »

Welcome to the FHUG.

Firstly it is usually quite complicated and unreliable to migrate back and forth between two different genealogy products.
Despite the GEDCOM specification, there are too many custom variations in different products.
The main data structures often work OK, but many of the more detailed structures do not, especially for Media images.
My strong recommendation is to choose FH for your master Project database, and only export that to MyHeritage.

Although it may appear that the FH Project imported from MyHeritage Family Tree Builder is OK, have you checked the Window > Log Files that will report Exceptions, etc?
Also check for UDF and other problems as explained in how_to:index#importing_to_family_historian|> Importing to Family Historian under how_to:handling_unrecognised_data_fields|> Handling Uncategorised Data Fields (UDF), et al.

To export to MyHeritage Family Tree Builder use the Export Gedcom File Plugin and then synch with MyHeritage online tree.
See plugins:help:export_gedcom_file:export_gedcom_file|> Export Gedcom File Plugin and in particular plugins:help:export_gedcom_file:myh_myheritage_family_tree|> Export Gedcom File ~ (MYH) MyHeritage Family Tree for details. The Plugin caters for the GEDCOM differences between products including Media.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
piotao
Gold

Post by piotao »

Yes, I've checked the logs. There were thousands of warnings and comments. However, the tree and the whole database seem to be quite OK. I've created nice succesful diagrams. On the other hand, all data from MH were rather limited to names and photos only + little bit of dates. So no big deal here.
I was unsuccessful with importing data from FH to MH, trying any available method. I think I will need more time to investigate what you've pointed out.
Thank you!
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Post by tatewise »

The Log File warnings and comments are important. Do NOT ignore them.
Many of those exceptions will not be immediately visible in most FH displays, but they will exist in the GEDCOM database, and appear on the All tab of the Property Box.

Please post some representative samples of the Log File reports so that we can advise how to rectify.

Have you performed the UDF checks advised in how_to:handling_unrecognised_data_fields|> Handling Uncategorised Data Fields (UDF)?
I will wager that there are a great many UDF to be rectified.

It may well be those problems that are hindering the export from FH and import to MyHeritage.
I presume you did use the Export Gedcom File Plugin set for MyHeritage as advised?

I have added a draft how_to:import_from_myheritage|> Import from MyHeritage (MYH) page of advice, but it probably needs more details.
Could anyone with extra advice about importing from MyHeritage please let us know.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
piotao
Gold

Post by piotao »

Well, thank you, your help is much appreciated, and I nearly start guilty to not do further research the subject immediately. Unfortunately, I have a very limited time before big family meeting (~100 ppl), and I can't check those things right now. I'm using Family Historian to create a bare family tree, with lots of known mistakes, but none that FH could repair - there are missing data or spouse names are the same as family names, etc. I hope that after this meeting I will collect enough data to manually repair as much of information as I could. Then, maybe will be the time to migrate everything to MH, but I honestly started to not like them. I prefer FH after everything I saw, including this very helpful forum for newbies like me. So, please do not be offended that I not immediately follow your advice. Not enough time! I have to focus on getting things done quickly right now, even roughly. Peace!